My verson of Project of the Month

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
The Barber Shop
Model of CNC Machine: I2R8

My verson of Project of the Month

Post by The Barber Shop »

I enjoy most of the monthly projects Michael has, and I often have a different approach to his processes. These variations, I understand, apply to my machine and skill sets or lack thereof. I decided to tackle the “Solunar box.” A few things bothered me about his instruction. One was his waste of wood. I found the nesting feature helpful in reducing the amount. I used a single 1 x 4 x .75 inch select pine board. I also moved some of the pieces around to help with clamping. I am not a big fan of screwing my work into my spoil board, although I will when all else fails.
For my carving, I used a .25 three flange down bit. It provides a smooth finish to the top, which is what I like to achieve. Reducing the tap size is also helpful when trying to remove it from the board. My tab settings are .2 x .15. I use a good marking knife to remove the pieces while still on the machine.
Michael suggested using a stain or glaze to bring out the carving feature, and I was going to use this technique until my daughter came over, and while we were talking, she suggested it might look good with gold in the carving and a black finish. With so much detail, I did not think I would be able to do this until the next morning an Idea came to me from my bit’s vendor, ToolsToday. I had watched one of their videos showing me masking a sign with Oramask to use different colors. I had used the film and knew it was good for carving through with a sharp v-carve bit but worried this was a little more than the Oramask could handle. I sanded the board down to 600, I know, a little excessive, but I was worried the paint might come off with the film and wanted the smoothest surface possible. I sprayed the board with a satin finish black and, after drying overnight, applied the Oramask and rolled it smooth the put it on my CNC bed.
After cutting all my v-carve with an Amana 90-degree bit with a replaceable blade, I sprayed the board with gold. I then finished up my profile cut and went about weeding the Oramask. The picture gives you a good idea of how well this worked.
Attachments
IMG_7220.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: My verson of Project of the Month

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Mark,

Wow, that looks GREAT! Kudos to your daughter for coming up with the black and gold idea! It’s beautiful!

Thank you for all the tips, too!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Really cool idea. Do you have any pics of the finish project?
Steve

The Barber Shop

I will post the finished product soon, thanks for the comments.

The Barber Shop

Attachments
IMG_7235.jpg
IMG_7234.jpg
IMG_7236.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha