Making a box with fit together edges

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Sliverfoot
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP 4896

Making a box with fit together edges

Post by Sliverfoot »

I am trying to make a box out of plywood where the pieces fit together with tabs, kind of like a puzzle. For example where the top meets the sides the top may have one center tab that would set between two tabs on the sides. Doing this wherever one face meets the other. I looked but could not find a tutorial that addressed something like this. Lining up the tabs is one thing but making tabs consistently the correct height (plywood thickness) is also a stumbling block.
I'm hoping someone can help me out on this. I may be making different sized boxes in the future so developing a system would be very helpful.
Only those who risk going too far
Can possibly find out how far one can go.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Making a box with fit together edges

Post by Adrian »

If you're not using a desktop version of the software then you might find the box making gadget useful - https://gadgets.vectric.com/V10/box_creator.html

The digital wood joints collection is worth a look as well as there are all sorts of interesting corner joints which can be used or adapted to boxes with a bit more interest than plain finger joints or dovetail joints - http://winterdienst.info/50-digital-woo ... chen-gros/

Sliverfoot

Post by Sliverfoot »

Thank you sooo much Adrian. That is exactly what I was looking for.
I knew that this had to be something that other people have done in the past I just didn't know where to look.

Sliverfoot

Post by Sliverfoot »

Ok next question
I would like to drill holes in each male tabs. If the material that I'm using is 3/4" thick and I want to drill two holes in each tab 3/8" from the edges, Is there a way to set this up that can be copied to each of the six box pieces. Considering that the box is not a square but instead a rectangle. I looked at he measuring tools and I don't see how I can utilize them for this.