Making Guitar Neck with Vcarve Pro

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
oneil.tom@gmail.com
Model of CNC Machine: Shark II

Making Guitar Neck with Vcarve Pro

Post by oneil.tom@gmail.com »

Hi - I have VCarve Desktop and need to start making guitar neck and fret boards. I'm sure Aspire would do the trick but the price tag is in the way.
Can I create Guitar necks with Pro or 3D?

Thanks
Tom

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Making Guitar Neck with Vcarve Pro

Post by Rcnewcomb »

You cannot create a guitar neck in VCarve, but you can import an STL file created in another program and use VCarve to generate the toolpath files to cut it on your machine.

Use your favorite search engine to search for guitar neck STL

Another option is to get a scan done of a neck you have already created. I made a banjo neck and had Brady Watson of IBILD.COM do the scanning. I was very satisfied with the results.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

cnckiddo
Model of CNC Machine: CNC4Newbie New Carve 1045

Post by cnckiddo »

Tom,

I hope you do mind me posting here.....

I am too trying to learn to do a guitar neck. I only have Vcarve Pro and really could use some help to figure out how to bring in a 3d model of a neck and then work out the tool paths.

I have found some examples for Aspire but I don't have the extra $1300 for an upgrade.

Not sure if you are aware of this but there is http://www.3dcncguitars.com/Home/ where you can buy such files in Vcarve Pro and there are example toopaths,etc.

I just emailed with Alex and asking him a bunch of questions. The guitar I am looking at he charges $75 for the Vcarve Pro files with the example toolpaths. I am most likely going to buy it when he and I can connect again.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

cnckiddo wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:03 pm
I am too trying to learn to do a guitar neck. I only have Vcarve Pro and really could use some help to figure out how to bring in a 3d model of a neck and then work out the tool paths.
Look at the 3D Assemble & 3D Toolpaths. https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... rollToMenu

If you're new to Vcarve, you may want to start with some of the basic tutorials. Also, you may need the 2-sided machining tutorials.

Alex Navarro
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis

Post by Alex Navarro »

If you do not care to need sand a little more the wood to modeling it better with you luthier skills you can do the shape neck on VCarve like I show in this video.

This video is only an idea how you can do it, but each model will give will different challengers

https://youtu.be/r7SL0x29B4w
Alex Navarro

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home made CNC

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Guys, Happy 2024, I hope the New Year brings better projects and new ideas.
I have a question that hopefully, can be answered.
I would be using V-Carve Pro 11.554 version and I want to carve a guitar neck, I have a file imported. Once the neck has finished carving I want it to be nice and clean without any slight edges along the two sides of the neck when doing the profile on the back of the neck.
When the tool cuts along the neck following the curved profile, I have seen where some people end up with what seem to be unfinished edges at the bottom of the curved profile of the rear of the neck and I want to avoid that. Is there a way and or tool path to avoid that happening so that the finish of the neck is nice and clean? OOps, more than one question.
Regards