"Re-Carving"

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Dbleot4
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD4

"Re-Carving"

Post by Dbleot4 »

I cut a sign with letters yesterday and the result wasn't quite what I wanted.
I want to raise the height of the letters about 1/64" and use a 1/16" bit instead of the 1/8" bit that I used on the original carve.
I haven't moved the sign from the table so the X and Y should be OK, do I just need to tell the software the Z thickness is 1/16" less than the original piece or will I need to make other adjustments (i.e in the Material Setup dialog box)?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: "Re-Carving"

Post by mtylerfl »

I gather you want to just deepen the areas around the lettering by 1/64”

You can create a Toolpath using the smaller 1/16” bit to have a Start Depth equal to what you have already carved away, then set the overall “goal depth” to 1/64” to carve away that additional amount. (Don’t change your material thickness setting.)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

I usually just lie to the machine and adjust the z a little and run the same toolpath. Thats if all the letters are going to be redone. If just a few, I make a new toolpath .

Bob

Dbleot4
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD4

Post by Dbleot4 »

Thanks Bob and Michael!

I was hoping the re-carve would be that simple, but I am amazingly adept at finding the "gotchas" in the software.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Bob Reda wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:57 pm
I usually just lie to the machine and adjust the z a little and run the same toolpath. Thats if all the letters are going to be redone. If just a few, I make a new toolpath .

Bob
Bob the OP is looking to use a smaller bit as well as cut a little deeper so your option wouldn't work in this case. The method you described is something that I often do with engraved text :lol: :lol: