Importing logos and image files so they can be vectorised!!!

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Importing logos and image files so they can be vectorised!!!

Post by highpockets »

Using the Import Bitmap both test1.jpg and Test2.jpg from the .zip file import with no issues.

Adrian is correct the test1.jpg will auto trace well as it's very crisp and clean, but Test2.jpg is very pixelated, it would be best and faster to create the vectors manually.
Attachments
Image 862.png
John
Maker of Chips

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Test1.jpg traces reasonably. Test2.jpg is terrible. This needs to be either redrawn or get a better quality image. The edges are totally pixelated.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I imported all of those without issues into VCarve 9.5

Is the USB stick being closed down/ejected properly? How old is it? There have been many instances on the forum where people have had inexplicable problems and changing to a new stick sorted it. They do have a finite life.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Ya know - I was going to ask you yesterday if you were using a Mac!! But, I assumed if you were, that you would be using Parallels or some other Windows emulator like a few others here do, and I’ve not seen or heard of any particular problems from Mac users so I dismissed asking the question. However, I don’t think any of us imagined you might be doing your image transfers directly from a Mac OS to a separate PC/Windows computer. So...

I am now thinking the way you are transferring your image files directly from Mac to PC via the USB stick might have something to do with your issues. But - I’m at a loss as to WHY that could cause any problem.

Apple products often (always?) include an “orientation” encoding in image files, whereas PC/Windows systems generally do not. (That’s why some folks posting images here in the Forum observe their images are “flipped” or “rotated” after posting.) Perhaps the way your Mac is encoding your images is “messing with” the normal Bitmap importing procedure. Just a wild guess

Anyway, maybe a person or two with more knowledge of this can chime in with their thoughts and recommendations. I won’t rule out that my “theories” may be complete nonsense either! I was able to import all of your posted images, no problem (as well as everyone else).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

I've also was able to import all of the images in the archive. I think it is unlikely that Mac renders those images unworkable.
If the transfer between computers is indeed to blame, then those files should not open in any software on that computer, not only VCarve.

Greg K

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Couple of things that may be causing the problems are the USB stick needs replaced as Adrian has mentioned & the other may be to do with removing the USB stick from the Mac before the file has been completely written to the USB stick. No idea if that is a possibility with the Mac but it certainly is the cause of a lot of problems with windows based machines :lol: :lol:
My last mac was a G3 machine so been a while since I have used one :lol: :lol:

meredithpete
Model of CNC Machine: Marchent Dice

Post by meredithpete »

Ok Thanks, all sound advice and great points.
Sometimes get so close to things cannot see the wood for the trees!!!!!

I will in order of sequence try.

1. A new USB stick. (As a matter of good house keeping I always close out properly before pulling the USB out.) Use the same Mac PC route and see what happens.

2. e mail myself the files direct from the net to the PC and open them from there directly into V Carve.

3. Search the images from the PC and save them down on that machine then open them into VC..... (Removing the mac and USB from the process all together.)

Thank you, I shall report back once I can get round to this task amongst all the tasks.... I hope you are staying safe and well....

meredithpete
Model of CNC Machine: Marchent Dice

Post by meredithpete »

Hi Guys.
So had a play.
It would seem somewhere in the MAC USB file sharing and not having huge knowledge of file types and 'How To' with these things, I have learnt today and I thank you all for this.

Originally.
The files were PNG off the net from the client e mailed to me.
I opened them on Mac and saved down to an operational but ageing USB.

Hit a brick wall with this at this point!

Today I dug out the original e mail from client own the PC. Saved the files from the e mail to the PC Pictures folder as JPEGs.

One opened straight into v Carve and one didn't even save successfully onto the PC when changing the file type.
So I went back and saved it down as a PNG and then it opened straight through into V Carve.

Lesson learned.
Thank you all so much.

Till the next conundrum!!

:D

springer668
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Iconic

Post by springer668 »

just started using sketchbook on ipad to draw some curvy vectors. seems easier than doing it within Vcarve. what is the best format to save these in for importing to Vcarve: tiff, jpeg, png, bmp? thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

springer668 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:13 pm
just started using sketchbook on ipad to draw some curvy vectors. seems easier than doing it within Vcarve. what is the best format to save these in for importing to Vcarve: tiff, jpeg, png, bmp? thanks
Ideally you want to save them in a vector format such as SVG, EPS, DXF etc.

If you save them as a bitmap (JPG,PNG,TIFF,BMP etc) then you're going to have trace them to make vectors in VCarve so you might as well have done them in VCarve in the first place.