Can a single vector serve as the border for two different toolpaths?

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Dbleot4
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD4

Can a single vector serve as the border for two different toolpaths?

Post by Dbleot4 »

I took a picture of some mountains and want to add them as a component to a sign. So I imported the mountains as a bitmap and created a vector outline around them. I then saved it as a crvd3 file. Component properties show the shape height as .5 in height with a base height of zero.

In job setup for the sign, I made the sign size 32" by 7" and .95" thick, the Z-Zero is surface. I imported the mountain crv3d file, added the address above the mountains and created a pocket toolpath to cut the address (with the top and sides of the sign and top of the mountains as the boundary vectors).

The issue I now have is that I can not get the single vector across the top of the mountains to serve as both the bottom boundary for the text pocket tool path, and also for the same vector to serve as the top boundary for the 3D toolpath for the mountains.
MV Sign 2D preview.jpg
I copied and pasted the vector to create a duplicate and that way I can get the toolpaths created, but it makes a noticeable line across the mountains and also causes problems along the sides and bottom frame.
MV Sign 3D preview.jpg
Any recommendations on how I should be creating the toolpaths?

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Re: Can a single vector serve as the border for two different toolpaths?

Post by jfederer »

My first impression is that if you made the upper boundary width exactly the width of the lower part, it would solve your problem. It may not be the best answer, but I would try that first. Thinking more about it, I would forget about using the entire upper area as a boundary. I would just make a smaller rectangular box to contain the text, then position it to suite.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

Dbleot4

Post by Dbleot4 »

Sorry..I should probably have posted this to the Aspire forum, but in all likelihood, the resolution to my vector questions probably would be applicable in Vcarve as well.

Dbleot4

Post by Dbleot4 »

Thanks Joe, I will give those recommendations a try.

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

The 3D model doesn't need a vector boundary. Just load it into the job and start cutting. If it is .5" deep, and you start at the top surface it will stop cutting at the bottom (deepest part) of the mountain model. That leaves the rest of the board uncut. So, I would look at the top of the job as a Pocket cut that needs a closed vector around it and that will serve as the boundary between the sky and mountains. Then, V-Carve the text or inlay it or even make a 3D model of the text. As far as the outer edges not lining up between the sky and mountains, you can stretch the mountain range a little bit and trim with a final "All Around" (use a different layer) vector to finish things off. Or, you could shrink the sign outline and achieve the same result. I hope this is of some help...joe