3D NOOB

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
SIBUD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 18X24 Desktop

3D NOOB

Post by SIBUD »

I'm going to make a box to contain the ashes of my daughter's golden retriever

I have access to all of the common woods sold in the US so getting what I need is no problem (My friend is a professional cabinet maker and can order whatever I need) The box will be 7 x 7 x 7.

. Found the 3D model, have the correct bits (on order) the question I have is what wood works the best for carving 3D?
Bud Meade
Nashville, IL

I don't own too many BMW motorcycles, I just have too little time.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: 3D NOOB

Post by TReischl »

There are really two questions. What cuts well and what will show what you are carving the best. Well maybe three, finish.

Maple cuts really well and holds detail nicely. It also lends itself to glazing techniques nicely that help bring out the carving.

Dark woods like walnut tend to not show detail real well. Grainy woods like oak are problematic because the grain interferes with the carving details. There are some exceptions, a good piece of white oak can turn out nicely.

Cherry carves well too and is not too dark.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I would not rule out poplar, if you can find a nice piece it can have almost granite like appearance - Just avoid the ones with the greenish blotches.
Doug

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Well it is a golden retriever, they deserve the best cause they always give their best.

My two favorite dogs are goldens and labradors. Murphy over there-------> is our chocolate lab. He is quite a character, pretty much runs the show around here.

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

my 2 cents
Bubinga and Canarywood both carve well.

Ron
Ron
Crafers Crafts

SIBUD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by SIBUD »

Thanks for all the replies.

I love working with cherry and have plenty on hand. I can also get clear poplar which I often use for painted projects as it is cheap and takes paint very well.

Have a tapered ball nose bit on the way and just updated to VCarve 10 so there is new stuff to learn.

The ShopBot is such an upgrade compared to my previous machine that I'm really excited to try some new stuff.

Thanks again.

Will post up results when finished.
Bud Meade
Nashville, IL

SIBUD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by SIBUD »

This bit came today: Amana Tool 46281 CNC 2D and 3D Carving 3.6 Deg Tapered Angle Ball Nose x 1/16 D x 1/32 R x 1-1/2 CH x 1/4 SHK x 3 Inch Long x 3 Flute SC ZrN Coated Router Bit

The project will be 2.5 inches in diameter. It is the head of a golden retriever from Vectric.

Having never cut a model before, any hints on bit speed (RPM's and inches per minute) as well as step over percentage. Also, since this will be dished, should I use a larger clearance bit first?

Thanks in advance

Anxious to get started.

I know there are videos I could watch to gain this knowledge but I also know folks here have the knowledge base to answer my questions.
Bud Meade
Nashville, IL

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Speed & feed settings vary so much you would really be better doing your own experimenting, you won't learn much using other peoples settings & they may be completely wrong for your machine & how you have it set up.
Don't forget when adding the tapered ball nose that it is the tip radious that you enter, not the diameter as with a straight ball nose.

If your new to 3D carving then you would be best to watch some of the tutorials, are you adding your own model to a dish model or is a a complete dished model you have? If it's the first option then there is a good tutorial about using the multipy mode which you may need. Think it is the Horse head in a dish but could be wrong (been a while since I watched it). If your cutting a dish shape then don't forget to add a zero plane :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry nearly forgot, a roughing pass may or may not be needed, without more detail on the project then it is hard to say. I normally do a roughing toolpath but there are others who don't always bother, down to what sort of material, type & size of bit, the depth of the model & probably some other factors as well. A picture of the model & size may help others to give more advice :lol: :lol:

SIBUD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by SIBUD »

Thanks. Sounds like good advice and I will start looking at the vids. Also thanks for letting me know about the tip as I would have entered the diameter not the radius.

Have another question, when ordering the models, there is a choice of V3M, STL or PNG. Which one should I order?
Bud Meade
Nashville, IL

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

SIBUD wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:34 pm
Thanks. Sounds like good advice and I will start looking at the vids. Also thanks for letting me know about the tip as I would have entered the diameter not the radius.

Have another question, when ordering the models, there is a choice of V3M, STL or PNG. Which one should I order?
I tend to avoid application specific file formats because sure enough, a ways down the road, I want to load a file into a different program that does not use an application specific file type. I tend to download stl's, but the downside is that you may not get a thumbnail in a lot of apps or in file explorer. That is a PITA.