Finding open spot in large vector

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
tvannaman2000
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Finding open spot in large vector

Post by tvannaman2000 »

I have a map I've imported and converted to vector and it has a river system that is huge. When I go to create a tool path, it tells me it is an open vector. I've gone over it inch by inch and tried to use the close vector tool, but apparently the opening is small enough that you can't see it and large enough that the tool won't connect it. Is there any trick to finding the spot in the vector that is open? We have the check tool that shows zero length, overlap and whatnot.. it sure would be nice if it would show you the open spot, too.

Thanks.

Tim.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Finding open spot in large vector

Post by mtylerfl »

Have you tried using the Edit, Selection, “Select All Open Vectors” feature?

Once found, you should be able to close it by clicking on the “Join/Close - vectors by moving end points to common points” icon
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Sometimes even though you "Select Open Vectors" you still can't find it. Another way is select all the vectors and join with either a straight line or curve. Sometime the vectors will go "out of wack", but at least you can see where the problem is.

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hmmm. I've always been able to find open vectors, even when two points are directly coincident/on top of each other.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

tvannaman2000
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Post by tvannaman2000 »

garylmast wrote:Sometimes even though you "Select Open Vectors" you still can't find it. Another way is select all the vectors and join with either a straight line or curve. Sometime the vectors will go "out of wack", but at least you can see where the problem is.

Gary
Those where the tools I was trying to use to close the vector. The vector has thousands upon thousands of nodes in it and I'm hoping there is a way to locate the spot where they are open just like the check vector button does. I've attached the .jpg of what I converted so you can get an idea on what it would look like. All the rivers have been tied together into 1 big vector. I don't have access to the actual .crv file right now. I'm suspecting I may have to split the thing into pieces to narrow it down. ugh!
Middle-Earth-Map-Geoawesomeness.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Edit menu, Selection, Select All Open Vectors. Right click on the drawing and choose Move to Layer, New Layer. Turn off all layers other than the one you just created and what you can see on screen is/are the open vector(s). Join them as needed and move back to the original layer.

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by litzluth »

Have you tried tweaking the "tolerance" setting in the join open vectors dialog? Sometimes the default value is too small to bridge the gap.

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

When I use the "Find Open Vectors " option I would move those found to a new layer.
Change the colour to red, for example and hide the first layer.
This helps me figure out how to deal with the open vectors..
Join or delete..

Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

A slightly different way (in V10) (not necessarily better) would be to select the open vectors (Edit menu, Selection, Select All Open Vectors) and then Node-Edit (Press N). From within the tool, you can close or join or delete any of those vectors as desired.
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

newmexico
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by newmexico »

"Tiny Bubbles... In The Wine."

This problem shows up a lot when tracing BITMAPS into VECTORS. You have chosen a bitmap with detail so fine that it can be overwhelming to find those tiny bubbles.
Vectric software is good but has a problem showing us the "bounding box" around those tiny graphic elements. It knows they exist (and tells us they exist) but cannot put a small enough bounding box around them for a visual indication. Using the "move to another layer" and "change color" is a great trick and works.

Hope that helps. Great question, by the way!

P.s. When we are approached with a bitmap to be converted to vectors, especially with the kind of detail in yours, we start calculating the time and money to work that bitmap into a "Workable Vector." All the tiny bubbles must be found. We use Illustrator to work that bitmap into vectors because Illustrator will give us a visual indication of even the tiniest bubbles in the wine.

P.s.s. Welcome to the Vector World.

bpoborski
Model of CNC Machine: AXIOM AR8

Post by bpoborski »

Hi Tim,

my 'trick' to finding open vectors is to copy all vectors to a temporary layer and hiding all other layeres.
I think this only works when you completely ungroup all vectors.
Then using the 'Join Vectors' tool and selecting portions of the work area you can easily determine if there are any open vectors within the selected area.
If in your selection there's no open vectors simply delete it, repeat this until you'll find the open one.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Bart

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

tvannaman2000 wrote:When I go to create a tool path, it tells me it is an open vector. ... Is there any trick to finding the spot in the vector that is open?
To get back to the original question. Yes. When in "node edit" mode the "start point" of the vector should be where the break is. See images.

Steven
Vector "start point" at lower left
Vector "start point" at lower left
Choose one of the three "join buttons" to close
Choose one of the three "join buttons" to close
yep-there-it-is.gif (1.21 KiB) Viewed 3250 times