Mirror Horizontal or Vertical from Node Editing Tool

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Mirror Horizontal or Vertical from Node Editing Tool

Post by llwood »

I can't figure out how to mirror vertical or horizontal from the node editing tool. I have a piece that I want to modify in a symmetrical way and I believe this should help me do it, but I can't figure out how to get this to happen. Could someone explain how to use it or point me to a video or a section of the help files or user's manual that describes how to do this?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Mirror Horizontal or Vertical from Node Editing Tool

Post by 4DThinker »

As far as I know, there is no way to mirror while in the Node mode.
With nodes turned off H and V will flip a selected vector Horizontally or Vertically. To mirror a vector use the mirror tool, or Copy the vector before flipping it then Paste the original back.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Once you've activated mirror mode in Node editing (right click menu or press the shortcut keys H or V) then you need to select the node(s) you want to move and the corresponding node(s) on the other side of the dashed mirror line (hold down shift while clicking to select more than one node or drag-select). Now whatever you do to the node(s) in terms of movement on one side of the line will be mirrored by the other one(s).

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

4DThinker wrote:As far as I know, there is no way to mirror while in the Node mode.
The attached photo shows the node edit window (accessed by right clicking while in node edit more), and it clearly shows Mirror Horizontal and Mirror Vertical. This is what I'm trying to use.
Attachments
Node edit window.JPG

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

Adrian wrote:Once you've activated mirror mode in Node editing (right click menu or press the shortcut keys H or V) then you need to select the node(s) you want to move and the corresponding node(s) on the other side of the dashed mirror line (hold down shift while clicking to select more than one node or drag-select). Now whatever you do to the node(s) in terms of movement on one side of the line will be mirrored by the other one(s).
This is exactly the information I needed. Thanks so much!!

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

There must be a difference between Aspire and VCarve. My node mode right click menu has no such option. Aspire 9.517
Node No_mirror.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

4DThinker wrote:There must be a difference between Aspire and VCarve. My node mode right click menu has no such option. Aspire 9.517
For some reason the right click menu only shows the option if you have a close vector selected. The shortcut keys (H and V) work all the time though. I always use those so I've never noticed the menu issue.

chri879
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP PRO48X48

Post by chri879 »

Node editing menu differs for lines and curves. Right click on curve reveals what they showed. Right click on line reveals what you showed.

-Chris.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I see what is going on now. You have to be on a node to get the correct context menu to appear. Right click on a node and the option is there all the time regardless of the span/vector type.

chri879
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP PRO48X48

Post by chri879 »

ah, makes sense! Knew they differed based on curves and straight. I have gotten so used to shortcut keys that I don’t look at the menus much anymore. It’s cool to learn these tips!