Adding a Birdsmouth Form Tool

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
ronald44181000
Model of CNC Machine: 4 Azis CNC Router

Adding a Birdsmouth Form Tool

Post by ronald44181000 »

Has anyone ever attempted to add a Birdsmouth Form Tool to their database? Whenever I attempt to add my 5/8" 45 Degree Birdsmouth Bit to my Tool Database I end up with nothing more than a 45 Degree V-Bit. When in fact the actual bit is nothing more than a V-Bit on its side. When creating the necessary Profile using a Vector, one is only allowed to enter the Lower portion of the Design Vector and it will not accept the Upper Portion as being relevant. I'm wanting to use the Birdsmouth Bit to create Splines on Pool Cues.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Adding a Birdsmouth Form Tool

Post by Rcnewcomb »

The upper portion of a bird's mouth bit tapers in to form an undercut similar to a dovetail bit. Vectric software does not model bits with undercuts. Think of it as seen from above and making a plunge movement. Only the V portion would be evident from that perspective.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

ronald44181000

Post by ronald44181000 »

So in essence, it is impossible to add this tool bit to Vcarve. I guess I'll just have to manually define the GCode to create a Tool Path.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can create the toolpath in VCarve by setting a "dummy" tool up with the correct feed rates etc. It's how keyholes and other such toolpaths are done. An endmill is defined and the toolpath created using them and on the machine the correct tool is used instead.

ronald44181000

Post by ronald44181000 »

To correctly do this Dummy, I take it that I would have to in someway create a cut with an Offset? I'm probably overthinking it, but that is what I tend to do.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I'd probably define it as an Engraving tool with the following parameters (using the example bit in my previous bit).
Afterward, to use it I'd create a vector offset the correct distance (whatever that is) from the edge you want to cut and then use profile ON the vector.
BirdsMouth.PNG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

IF you are going to use it from the side (my assumption), simply define the tool as an endmill that is the large diameter of the tool. Set a line with returns out beyond the surface and do a simple profile, in this case left/climb to start at the surface and increase in depth
Side Cut.PNG
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com