Real Size Printing?

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
johnelle
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3

Real Size Printing?

Post by johnelle »

I am using Vcarve for a bandsaw project which means I have to have the output print at 100% scale. Everything I have tried (including Adobe .pdf output) is scaled. I have tried poster print, orientations, etc. It always scales it at some random amount.

Am I going to have to use Illustrator for this project? I hope not because it takes hours to learn enough Illustrator to do a simple design.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Real Size Printing?

Post by adze_cnc »

This gets asked often. For the the last such thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31670&p=229021&hilit=pdf#p229021

Adrian's final comment might be what you are looking for.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

If you have a printer that understands HPGL then the Generic HPGL post processor may work for your purpose.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

johnelle wrote:I am using Vcarve for a bandsaw project which means I have to have the output print at 100% scale. Everything I have tried (including Adobe .pdf output) is scaled. I have tried poster print, orientations, etc. It always scales it at some random amount.

Am I going to have to use Illustrator for this project? I hope not because it takes hours to learn enough Illustrator to do a simple design.
Check your settings in the PDF reader you're using as you should be able to print at 100% scale no problem with a PDF file exported from VCarve. A common issue is overlooking margin/header/footer settings.

ngh
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro

Post by ngh »

My methodology to print an actual size representation on my inkjet printer:

I use is LibreOffice Draw (part of the free LibreOffice suite) and print in 100% scale.

My small CNC is about A4 sized (200 x 300mm) or (12 x 8 inches), so a normal A4 page is very close.

I export the vectors as a .svg file out of VCarve.
Then I open the .svg via LibreOffice.
I format my page to the exact sizing I am using (200 x 300mm).
then I print at 100% scale and no margins.

So far everything has lined up perfectly to my actual cuts.

This probably will only work for the smaller size jobs.

Hope this helps.

ngh. 8)

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Sorry for the dumb question, but s a newbie I'd like to know.... why would you do this? I mean if you have a lettering carved on wood from vcarve... why would you need a inkjet print of it? Just curious.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

ezurick wrote:Sorry for the dumb question, but s a newbie I'd like to know.... why would you do this? I mean if you have a lettering carved on wood from vcarve... why would you need a inkjet print of it? Just curious.
The OP was asking about a bandsaw project so something that has been designed in Vcarve & then a paper template printed which is then stuck on the piece of material for bandsaw cutting :lol: :lol: :lol:

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

martin54 wrote:
ezurick wrote:Sorry for the dumb question, but s a newbie I'd like to know.... why would you do this? I mean if you have a lettering carved on wood from vcarve... why would you need a inkjet print of it? Just curious.
The OP was asking about a bandsaw project so something that has been designed in Vcarve & then a paper template printed which is then stuck on the piece of material for bandsaw cutting :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aah! got it. Guess I missed about the bandsaw. Thanks for explaining Martin.

Juder
Model of CNC Machine: 4040XE

Post by Juder »

I bought a Pen Holder for my small cnc! Tape a piece of paper to the spoil board and it all draws out to size! Also handy for making templates for my wife's craft projects, especially when she wants them bigger than my printer can print. Works great!