Update & Pics using Photo Vcarve to Relief Carve

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

This is the second time I've seen excellent results using this technique and Corel, but I don't know how to use the Mask function. Can you please explain the Masking step?
Thanks. :)

Paul_n
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PR96

Post by Paul_n »

Ted...

Very interesting process. Thanks for posting the results.

Would it be possible for you to post what the 'starting' picture looked like, say of the Dover example?

Thanks,
Paul N

Gnarly Gnu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gnarly Gnu »

Thkoutsidthebox wrote:.....I don't know how to use the Mask function. Can you please explain the Masking step?
Thanks. :)
Me too.... Og may have a 13 foot long bed but his brain ain't that big! :D

If I grasp it properly you are:

1) Using an image either with an existing black background or inverting it to create a black background.
2) You then take a copy of that image (#2)
3) You blur image #1 using various Photo Shop or Corel tools such as gaussian blur to create a soft greyscale image where the whiter parts will be the highest points in the final carving.
4) You then pop image #2 on top of image #1, it will look like you are back where you started before blurring.
5) Next delete the image (the white parts) of image #2 leaving only the black background as a mask on top of (the previously blurred) image #1.
6) Merge / create and save the resulting image.

Is this correct? If so it would seem the mask is just the black background re-introduced over the top of image #1 to give a defined outline edge to the softened image? Can someone please correct me if I am not getting this right thanks.
Last edited by Gnarly Gnu on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

I wonder if there is a way to use VCarve's pocket function to clear away the low flat areas. This could cut down on machining time considerably.

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Post by Turtle49 »

Phil wrote:I wonder if there is a way to use VCarve's pocket function to clear away the low flat areas. This could cut down on machining time considerably.
Ya, this thread talked about how to do just that.
http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2192

Great info....check it out. :D

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Hi again,

I've been trying this but I only have the trial version of PVC so I can't do any test cuts. :(

I'm getting some sort of result, but in the preview it looks like the carving will be VERY rough.

You can see the individual passes very clearly (See image below with my settings). I think this is a stepover problem, but I can't find the 'stepover' setting in PVC.....should I set the stepover AFTER saving and importing the file into VCP ?

Maybe its just a preview problem and will actually carve fine?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
ScreenHunter_038.jpg
ScreenHunter_039.jpg
(10.59 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard

Post by Turtle49 »

You can see the individual passes very clearly (See image below with my settings). I think this is a stepover problem, but I can't find the 'stepover' setting in PVC.....should I set the stepover AFTER saving and importing the file into VCP ?
The stepover in Photo VCarve is the "line spacing" setting. The slider will adjust it between 100 and 200, but you can manually input any number you want. Try reducing it to 15 or 20.

For more info check out this thread:
http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536

Hope this helps,
Tim

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

I previewed it again and selected 'Cross Hatch'....is this how people usually do it?

It still looks a bit rough...a bit too rough...I used a .125" Ballnose and the piece is about 6 or 7 inches high and wide...
Attachments
ScreenHunter_040.jpg

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard

Post by Turtle49 »

I think once you get your stepover set correctly, it will be smooth. Cross hatch will only double your cut times.

Tim :D

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Thanks but how do I set the stepover in Photo V-Carve?????

Here's another try, same settings as last time....
Attachments
Photo-V-Carve Preview
Photo-V-Carve Preview
After running through Corel Photo Paint. Smooth 4 times and Gaussian Blur once at 2.5 pixels.
After running through Corel Photo Paint. Smooth 4 times and Gaussian Blur once at 2.5 pixels.
Picture Direct From Internet
Picture Direct From Internet
Without running the image through Corel. Might be nice if I could get the stepover tighter....
Without running the image through Corel. Might be nice if I could get the stepover tighter....

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard

Post by Turtle49 »

Turtle49 wrote:
The stepover in Photo VCarve is the "line spacing" setting. The slider will adjust it between 100 and 200, but you can manually input any number you want. Try reducing it to 15 or 20.

For more info check out this thread:
http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536

Hope this helps,
Tim
Read the above quote from my previous post....

Tim

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Holy Smokes!

Ok, I can only speak for how masks are used in Corel, since I do not use other paint programs.

For MOST of this work it is pretty simple.

1) Invert image, unless you are doing intaglio (fancy word for making a mold type of cut). In other words, for relief, your object should be on a black background.
2) Create a mask around the object. Depending on the mask tool you use, you may have to invert the mask. The bottom line is that you want the object selected, not the background.
3) Start playing with the Effects tools, the blur functions Smooth and Gaussian.
(Typically, I find that if I use Effects>Blur>Smooth about 10X in a row set at 100%, followed by Effects>Blur>Gaussian set at 4-6 pixels 1X, I get good results.

Import the image to PVC. When you get to step 3, Cutting Parameters, make sure you set the line spacing slider to about 5-15 % (this all depends on the ball nose tool you are using) You CANNOT use the little slider bar, just go to where it says % and type in your number.

That is it, examine your handy work!

There is a LOT more you can do with this. I have created a couple of special shading templates and have used them to create very different effects. Trying to explain how to do that here is way too difficult.

If you decide to try the shading tools over in Draw, you will find they are linear, not radial. In other words, if you use radial fill on a circle, it will LOOK like a circle in Corel, but it will cut like a Coolie hat over in PVC. I think the former BreadBoard aka Thk. . .Box posted a nice sphere shading template in the other post.

Be warned! This is VERY addicting!

By the way, you can load up the images I have posted and try them out yourselves, they work, nothing miraculous about them.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Ok ok, I have it now. Here's the pic of the above flower after toolpathing without going through Corel. This is great fun. :D
I set the stepover at 15%....only one problem....my cutting time is showing at 46hours! :shock: Is this accurate? I have 12"x10" VA3D models cutting much quicker than that. I set my rapid and scale.....hmmmm....I dont like it! :evil:

....Now all we need is an easy way to generate these from full colour pics....any ideas? :)

Ahem!...How much is PhotoVCarve again? Do I get a discount to make up for my being the subject of jokes and upsetting comments over in the name change thread? :D :wink:
Attachments
ScreenHunter_060.jpg

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Thk. . .Box, Shop around the net for the Corel, Draw and PhotoPaint come together. If you have a student in the family, you get a heckuva discount, but no manuals. I just printed out the pdf file.

As to the cutting times, hmmm, should not be much different, cutter stepping over same amount, back and forth, back and forth. . . . One thing to keep in mind is that you rarely are taking a full cut, usually just .01 to .015 so you can go full depth. I never make multiple passes, HUGE waste of time.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Thk, I just copied your pic and ran it through, .25 depth of cut, single pass, about 10 X 12. Feed at 60 IPM, total time was 3 hours 33 minutes.