Update & Pics using Photo Vcarve to Relief Carve

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Update & Pics using Photo Vcarve to Relief Carve

Post by TReischl »

I have been playing around with relief carving for about a month now, posted some pics and tips in an earlier post. Since then, I have investigated Solid Modelers (Blender, GMax, Silo, AC3D, etc). They all do a job, but not the job I want to do. This morning I loaded some deSign clipart (thanks to whoever it was that posted on here about them, really good stuff), did a few things over in Corel PhotoPaint, popped the image into PVC, and well, here are the results:

If you want to try this method, here are a few tips:

1) Learn how to use the mask function in your paint program, very important.
2) Use your paint program in 256 shades of gray mode.
3) You can vary heights by painting various shades of gray (this is where being able to use the Mask function come in REAL handy)
4) Set your stepover in PVC to about .01 if you are using a .125 ball end mill.

THIS is exactly what I wanted to be able to do easily. Thanks to the Vectric team, I can do it! The total time to create this was about 30 minutes, with three hours of cutting (I was running at 60 IPM)

Oh, if you are "ramping" in to depth, there is no need for multiple passes, since the cutter only takes .010 per pass anyhow.
Attachments
AUT_6352.JPG
AUT_6351.JPG
AUT_6304.JPG
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Wow :o

TomB

Relief

Post by TomB »

Treischl

Very nice work, good detail. I have seen reference to Corel photo paint in several posts in regards to relief creation using gray scale. Does it have better masking and gray scale creation ability as compared to Photoshop? I have used Photoshop for years and even though I own Corel photopaint I have not spent any time to learn it. If this kind of relief can made from Corel better than Photoshop It will be worth learning. What do you think?? Thanks for the help.

Tom B

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Hi Tom,

I have been a Corel user since about Version 2 or so. I have Photoshop, but like you in reverse, have never taken the time to learn it. So, honestly, I am not sure if Corel is easier or not. There is not too much to this process other than getting a feel for using the masks and blending functions. So, I would think it should be just as doable in PS as Corel.

TomB

Relief..

Post by TomB »

Thanks for the quick response. I think I will load up photopaint and look at the masking function. I have used Corel draw for for over seven years so the interface should look familiar. Thanks again.

Tom B

Lrob
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Lrob »

TReischl

That is awesome. Please keep us updated as you continue to develop this great technique.

Larry

red

Post by red »

That carving really rocks! Nice job.

Any chance we could see a small sample of the greyscale source image. I'd like to get a better idea of how the shapes translate to the 3d height difference. Thanks in advance.

Gnarly Gnu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gnarly Gnu »

Great stuff TReischl! Thanks for keeping us informed, very helpful.... must try this technique out.

Can't help but wonder if Tony or Brian had any idea that PVC would be able to do this sort of thing and apparently so effortlessly? Reminds me of when I bought my house, only had a quick glance through initially as I wasn't thinking of buying it then a couple of days later decided to make an offer. The seller agreed and it wasn't till I had the keys some time later that I discovered it had an ensuite bathroom I didn't know existed. This was before I was married obviously! :D

Colin P F
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Colin P F »

Well worked out Treischl. very interesting process.

Cheers,
Colin.

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Very impressive Ted,
I tried the process in PhotoShop CS but got lost with the mask step.

Defiantly deserves another look.
thanks for sharing your technique.

Chuck

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Thanks guys, glad you are all enjoying the thread. I have attached a sample "slice" of what one of these bitmaps look like. Of course, by doing different things you get different results. Probably the most important part of this process is the edge blending. I will elaborate a bit:

After loading your clipart into the paint program, create a mask. The mask keeps the blending process from "bleeding" onto the background. If you want different heights in your carving, do some painting with different shades of gray. This example was blended by using Effects>Blur>Smooth with the setting at 100%. It was repeated about 10X (you repeat in corel by hitting ctrl-F). Then I used Effects>Blur>Gaussian set at 4 pixels 1X. All done.

Remember, you can add lettering or whatever right on top of this image, if you make the lettering whiter than everything else, it will stand out very nicely. You can also use this to add a few details to a standard VCarving.

In other words, if you are put off by the long cutting times for a complete sign using this technique, you can add a few eye popping details using the technique, then do the rest in the normal manner.

And THAT is why I like VCarve/Photo Vcarve and the whole paradigm used by Vectric, it seems like our hands are never tied.
Attachments
Slice.jpg

TomB

Relief.

Post by TomB »

Ted,

The original clip art image you started with was it a vector or raster image? I do not have any of the deSign clip art collections but I do have three of the Vector art mega collections. They are either in AI or EPS format.
Tom B

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Good question Tom. Even though the deSign clipart is vector, which I used to size the initial image, everything after that is bitmap. In other words, I scaled the vector image up and then exported it as a jpg bitmap for the work in Corel.

It is possible to just copy and paste from Draw to Paint, but you might find that your image changes size a bit. That is why I export it and then open it.

So, this is good news for the guys who like to work on bitmaps from Dover, etc, they do not have to convert them to vector first. I will load up a Dover clipart image and post here in a bit.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Here is a simple image from Dover Clipart.
Attachments
Std Test 006.jpg

TomB

Relief.

Post by TomB »

Ted,

I thought that was what you did. I could have loaded up an image and figured it out myself. I was aware of this grayscale process for some time but thought it was more limited and so havent spent any time working with it. You have proven I was wrong about the limits to this process. I am retired and can't believe how little time I can squeeze out of a day for projects like this. I don't know how I ever had time to work a full time job. Thanks for sharing your efforts with the rest of us.
Tom B