Checking V Bit Angles

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
zlmark
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Checking V Bit Angles

Post by zlmark »

Here is a chart that has helped me to figure out what V bit angle I was using.
I found I was not close in my guessing. Found this chart handy. My cuts
look like they are suppose to now.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v13 ... ve_forming

Mark
Attachments
v132-0422_l.jpg
Mark Summers
The Sign Shoppe of Summit County
http://www.SignShoppe.co

LouF
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: FLA100-00

Post by LouF »

Good information thanks guys..

Lou :)
Lou

GraClay

Post by GraClay »

Paul Z, you may have unwittingly shown another issue that is seen many time in the Galleries of the various Vectric forums and that being that your cut is too deep.
Regardless of the correct or incorrect angle being used for a V-Cutter, the corners of the cut should be sharp, not radiused as shown in your example.
Even a 60 degree tool toolpathed as a 90 degree will still produce sharp corners when set at the correct height. The corners will not be square but they will be sharp.

Whilst I normally set my material height from the spoil board up, when V-Carving it's always from the top down and as close to accurate as possible.

Many times in the galleries here you will see letters that have become fatter (bolder) because the V-carving is too deep. Might look OK for some but completely incorrect.

On the other hand if the cut is not deep enough the corners will be sharp but some detail can disappear.

Apologies in advance if someone else has mentioned this in their replies.

I use the test various angle settings in tool settings to find the correct angle. For small fine text I cut my own D-bits and have found that the cutters are actually 84 degrees although my cutter grinder is set at 90 degrees.

regards, Graham
Attachments
should go to a point.jpg
August 2013 5 cents.jpg

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Finally got a chance to repay the guy who picked my Desktop up from the shipping terminal in his truck and helped me uncrate.
Bedroom door sign for a 6yr old girl who likes snakes and frogs(Yuck).
Decided to dial in a new Kyocera .25" 90VBit- quite dismayed to find "waterlines" I could catch a fingernail on(barely).
Remembered a thread by Paul Z for testing the actual angle of a VBit and downloaded the file. Had scrap on right of Cherry for the test if I re-arranged them.
Cut first at an included angle in tool database of 90 degrees and got the same as the carving. Then changing only the angle of the bit in the database, I went from 85-92 degrees. 88 degrees was better.At 86 degrees I was getting toolmarks from the outer diameter of the bit when it went to clean up the corners. at 92 degrees waterline was worse.
Also tested at 40% faster feed/speed and pass depth as I always feel I'm cutting slow compared to you guys even though chips and bit temp say otherwise. Didn't like the idea of sanding this kind of thing though--so just letting the machine do the work while I do other stuff.
I thought the 87degree included angle looked best, so changed that in the database and decreased pass depth 30%( so any new marks would be at a different height from originals) and rezeroed .006" (not enough to eliminate old marks )lower.
Only "waterlines" were the originals MUCH reduced and NO new ones BUT it's a much more intricate cut than the test triangle and many more passes, so you'll see toolmarks in corners so I'm TOO steep now. I'll change to about 78.8degrees next time I use the bit.
By then it was getting late, so was going to recut this morning BUT idiot me shut down, and any cut now would have been a hair off--Oh well next time.
Interesting though are the toolmarks from 85-87 degrees as they are the same exact marks I get from my Vortex .25" 60 VBit that drove me so nuts doing deep cuts I stopped using it and used an Onsrud 60 engraving for those cuts. I bet if I dial in 62-63 degrees on the Vortex they'll disappear
I KNOW the right way is to have a VBit that is large enough to do a full pass afterwards, but money is tight and working with what I have.
Hope this is of some help to somebody.
Thanks Paul--You helped me!!! Again
scott
Attachments
BIT ANGLE 90 DEGREES BEFORE.jpg
BIT ANGLE TEST SHAPE PAUL Z'S TEST.jpg
BIT ANGLE 87 DEGREES AFTER ALL MARKS ORIGINAL CUT EXCEPT LEFT.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

chalfontcrew
Model of CNC Machine: V6-1500gt

Post by chalfontcrew »

What I do is the best and once setup very quick

Mark out a spare section of wall in workshop with a 2 foot length of lines at all the angles of the cutters you use.
You will essentiality have a load of upside down v shapes on the wall nested inside each other and about 2 feet in height.
Then all you do is hold a tiny v bit in your hand and hold it up in front of a powerful torch and ajust the distance away from the torch and also the wall.when you have got it right you will see a large shadow of the vbit on the wall that you line up with the markings.
After a couple of practice's you can do this in seconds. Job done.
You could mark the wall with 1 degree angles if you need to know the exact angle.
I hope this works for some people out there.

Beltramidave
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FLA Saturn 4x4 / 7W & 60W lasers

Post by Beltramidave »

Paul Z -

When running your test program, should I leave the Cut Depth set at .2"?
Dave
https://lakesedgewoodcraft.com/

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Post by laflippin »

Chalfontcrew---I really liked your clever idea. I've got a whiteboard in my shop and will draw a few angles on it to try out your method this weekend. But, only use a torch for this purpose when you're in the UK....in the US please use a flashlight :D

K5MWR
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by K5MWR »

What I would like to know is how you have verified that the spindle is properly aligned. If the spindle is off vertical with respect to the table then a perfect bit will appear to be off. When using a large cutter to level the spoiler board the ridges left would imply that the bit is not level with the machine axis.

mayes
Model of CNC Machine: open builds cnc OX

Post by mayes »

Hello. I not sure why the software is cutting like this when i cut vcarve it leaves the little sharp points at the corner of each letter.
help please
thanks M2
Attachments
V-Carve 4 jordan.crv
(308 KiB) Downloaded 291 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Your file is programmed for a 90 degree bit. Is that what you're using?

OldMicroguy
Model of CNC Machine: Analoy? Desktop 1830Pro

Post by OldMicroguy »

I used a CAD program to draw some lines at known angles, then printed little graphs (of those lines) on LASER transparencies, use a small light board or something similar, and place the bit on the graph and compare it. I don't guess it will show you any variations, like if a 30 degree bit is 31 degrees or anything.

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Post by TomWS »

OldMicroguy wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:49 pm
I don't guess it will show you any variations, like if a 30 degree bit is 31 degrees or anything.
I have a 60 degree V-Bit that wasn't carving very well. I measured it (using a General Tools Angle Protractor) and found it was 55 degrees... I now use it mostly for aligning center of the spindle during setups.

kak
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: DIY CNC

Post by kak »

I draw 2 lines in CAD, I rotate one of the lines until it looks right and I measure the angle with "angle tool".
Or I just draw the 60 deg angle and I see if it looks right.
It's easy to do, when you have no idea what angle your bit is :wink:
Bit angle check.jpg