hole alignment

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Terryo
Model of CNC Machine: shark pro HD can11122

hole alignment

Post by Terryo »

I am making two arc's about .75 in apart and want to equally space out a number of small circles along each arc. I have been trying to eyeball the locations, but never seem to get it quite right. Is there an easier way to do this that will be accurate. This is for a custom cribbage board, and I need to make sets of 5 circles on each arc. I want the circles to be opposite and in line with each other. It's just to get the pin holes in the correct location so they look even. I could use a pair of ellipses instead of the arcs as they are being used for alignment only and I will be removing them after the circles are located. If I were doing this on paper it would be easy with a protractor and a compass, but I am really new to this cad/cam thing. Any help with this would be appreciated.

CharlieP
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Saimsmart CNC

Re: hole alignment

Post by CharlieP »

Hi Terryo,

One possible way to do it is if you move your arcs (for the moment) so that their centres are on x0y0.

Then place your first circle in the desired place between the arcs and then use the Circular Copy tool on it.

In the Circular Copy tool, set your rotation centre to x0y0 and the Number of items you want.

Then play with the step angle until you get the placement you need, (Undo and change it as much as you want!) group all the circles and curves together when done and drop them back into their intended place!

I hope this helps!

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Not there right now - but I am pretty sure there is an anchor point in the arc box to tell EXACTLY where to put the center point.

There are OSNAP tools available also.

If eyeballing - you can zoom up to max and eyeball to within a couple of thousandths.

You can also create layout lines with "offset" and use osnaps.

Several ways to do it.

Can you upload your work and we can look at it - then give you specific advise
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Terryo

Post by Terryo »

I would like to sent a copy of my work but I do not know how to do that. I tried to copy and paste it, no luck there though! I could send the CRV file if I knew how

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Copy and paste will not work

You need to upload it

Look below the message box when --- see -- Options : Upload attachment
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Post by eph210 »

Another way of doing it is to use the copy along vectors tool. Make one arc, then offset it by your spacing. Draw one hole somewhere (doesn't need to be on the arc), select it and one arc. Click on the copy along vectors tool (bottom row) choose the number of holes and spacing. Do the same to the other arc and the holes will be radially aligned. The first hole will be at the start of the arc and the last hole will be at the end with the rest evenly spaced in between if you choose the force even spacing option.
Euan

Terryo

Post by Terryo »

Erin4.crv
(340.5 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Ok, I'm, catching on now. This is the file I'm working on. I want to put 120 1/8 holes on each vector. With the holes exactly opposite each other. Like a bicycle wheel around the curves and like a ladder on the straight areas. I have been playing around with the circular array, and the copy along vectors functions. I am having trouble getting the holes to line up with the parent vectors having different radius. I know that the outside and inside vectors would have the same spacing on the straight areas, but the curves will be different because of the different radius. I just can not seem to figure out how to do this. Like I said I am kind of old school and all my geometry was done with a protractor and a compass. I am really paying for that now that I want to do work with cnc tools. I can see I should have paid better attention in math and geometry class.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

My suggestion:
1. Use the "Fit curves to selected vectors" (Circular arcs) on the inner vector to simplify the nodes.
2. Use the "Node editing" tool to cut the vectors at the ends of the straight sections (8 places).
3. Use the "Copy along vectors" tool to add the .125 holes to each vector. Each vector will take one extra hole because the holes at the ends will overlap. I used 25 holes for each side and 36 holes for each curved end.
4. Eliminate the duplicate holes.
Erin4.crv
(437.5 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Copy along vector.JPG
The file with holes added (Duplicate holes not removed):
Erin4.crv
(437.5 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

VCron27
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity

Post by VCron27 »

I am having the same problem doing 120 holes on a crib board! The problem is getting the holes to line up as the curve changes diameter. It's easy to space all around a circle, but as 2, 3 or more circles decrease in diameter the holes do not align. Not sure what to try next!