Hand held router bits

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
dajack21215
Model of CNC Machine: Bob's evo 5

Hand held router bits

Post by dajack21215 »

Hello. I have a collection of bits that I have been using to make signs with my hand held router. I would to be able to do this on my cnc instead. How do I incorporate the tools from the handheld router into the database for the cnc?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Hand held router bits

Post by Adrian »

See the tutorial for the tool database here for how to add new tools

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I had to look twice at the title. :( My mind went right to a vision of someone trying to spin a bit by hand. In my long life I've never seen any router bits designed to be hand held. ;)
4D

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

4DThinker wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:04 pm
I had to look twice at the title. :( My mind went right to a vision of someone trying to spin a bit by hand. In my long life I've never seen any router bits designed to be hand held. ;)
4D
I have, on occasion, used a roundover bit in my hand to scrape the edge of a small piece. But I didn't try spinning it. :lol:
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Can't remember if it is mentioned in the tutorial or not but you shouldn't be using any router bits with a bearing on a CNC machine :lol: :lol: :lol:

dajack21215
Model of CNC Machine: Bob's evo 5

Post by dajack21215 »

Thank you for your response Adrian. All the other answers to this post can take a hike. If you aren't going to give helpful info to people who are looking for answers, then keep your smart..... to yourself please

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

dajack21215 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:30 pm
Thank you for your response Adrian. All the other answers to this post can take a hike. If you aren't going to give helpful info to people who are looking for answers, then keep your smart..... to yourself please
You have 18 posts to your credit: the people who responded with a little bit of humour have thousands, and have been VERY helpful to people in the past. It's a COMMUNITY forum, not paid employees. As long as they aren't blatantly disrespectful, I see nothing wrong with having a little fun. I'd suggest getting some thicker skin, or find another venue for assistance.

Allan

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

martin54 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:19 pm
Can't remember if it is mentioned in the tutorial or not but you shouldn't be using any router bits with a bearing on a CNC machine :lol: :lol: :lol:
RUT ROW

I just did exactly that same thing yesterday and several times in the past - and will do it again today or tomorrow.
I did however hand G-code the program.

I will be posting a youtube video next week of the operation using a Freud Door Panel set - with bearings.

I will warn though - it certainly be a disaster if you don't know how to manage that operation.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

A hacksaw with solve the problem of having a bearing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gary

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

dajack21215 wrote:
Nah. If we want to have a little fun, we will. Last I looked, they did not appoint you Lord of the Forum on June 3, 2022.

Other thing you should know is that we have lots of ranking curmudgeons on this forum, you are a long, long way from qualifying for one of the positions.

BTW, it is a really nasty habit to try and tell folks you actually do not know what to do and how to act.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

dajack21215 wrote:
I thought my comment about router bits with bearings was helpful but clearly not.

I will stick to what I have said despite Leo's post telling me I am wrong, especially for someone who is quite new to CNC & the software, not all of us have 40+ years working with industrial machines & from what I have been led to believe generally speaking it is best not to use router bits with a bearing, for most of us who use the toolpaths within the software it is a better option to just buy new bits that are better suited to CNC machining. You can of course with most of them remove the bearing or like I do just keep them for use with the router table & hand-held router :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Martin, I am sorry that my comment offended you. It was make in jest. My humor is maybe not very good. You are correct of course.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC