3d model help

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
potl
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Nigthhawk cnc

3d model help

Post by potl »

hello i have done a job of a 3d model ,but in the middle off the model there is something going on.
look at the photo .
how can i fix this problem in the middle of the model so it gets smooth ? everthing else is looking good.
Skjermbilde 2022-07-04 204942.jpg
håndtak.dxf
(6.69 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: 3d model help

Post by SteveNelson46 »

It's really hard to tell without seeing the actual file but my guess is the model position in the material needs to be adjusted. On the toolpath tab, select the "Set" button at the top and move the slider to the center.
Attachments
Pslition in material.png
Steve

potl
Vectric Apprentice

Post by potl »

sorry for not sending file,i think i had.

her is the link for downloading the file

https://www.dropbox.com/t/jmMSPfDuJa7xHmyc

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

The jagged edges are actually part of the imported model. It was probably created at a low resolution. Of course, it will doubled when you copy it to the other side. This can be seen this by creating a vector boundary around the model and then turn the visibility of the model off. You could adjust the limit planes on both sides but then the finished project will not be round.
Attachments
Edges.png
Steve

potl
Vectric Apprentice

Post by potl »

ok i made the model in other software and that shoud be ok i think
i have to check it in other software then

thanks

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I'm still not positive of my previous post. After playing around with your shape I'm getting the same results. After completely redrawing the vectors I created a new model in Aspire, saved it as an .stl with 10,000,000 meshes and imported it in as a single sided model and copied it to the other side. I'm still getting the same results as you. At this point I'm not sure of what is going on. Never had this problem before. Maybe I'm just getting senile. Attached a link to my Aspire file and the .stl. Maybe someone else can determine if we are doing something wrong.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w1pepz ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wGNLZg ... sp=sharing

I usually do projects like this as a rotary job so there is no seam.
Steve

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Okay, I imported the vectors into Rhino as .eps and re-modeled Then imported directly into Aspire v11. Same results. Maybe just sanding off the nubs is the answer. I guess we could send the file to Vectric and see what they say.
Attachments
Modeled in Rhino.png
Steve

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I sent the files to Vectric support. Maybe they'll have a solution.
Steve

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Maybe I didn't explain the problem good enough to Vectric support as their solution was to use a vector around the perimeter and a profile cut. That clearly won't work for this kind of file. I remodeled the project in Aspire and exported as an .stl with as high of resolution as I could (relatively). It's better but not perfect. I think it has something to do with the taper of the bit as it approaches 90 degrees at the bottom of the cut. Anyway, here is a link to the .stl file I created. I hope this helps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wGNLZg ... sp=sharing
Steve

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Regarding the tapered ball end bit in the original CRV file I noticed the following:
  • the description on the Amana page is for a 0.10 deg taper (which is the side angle) but the file specifies a 0.2 deg side angle
  • as I've posted previously re: Amana's 0.10 deg tapered end mill that must be a legal dodge. For this bit to come to a point at 0.10 deg it would need to be something in range of 175cm long. It's not really a tapered ball end over the length of 75mm or so but a normal ball end bit.
Steve: I took your original STL file from a number of posts ago. Created a silhouette in Rhino 7 to extract the profile. I redrew the profile. I did a 180 revolve and came up with the attached STL file.

After importing it into VCarve v9.519 I ran 3D finishing toolpaths using a 1mm ball end cutter so as to get as close to the underlying pixel-based model as possible. I also created a profile toolpath offset 1.5mm from the object so that we can see the result of the 3D finishing. It looks really quite good.

I didn't run a simulation using the tapered ball end cutter but as the model comes to near vertical I can imagine a rough edge.

3d finish 1mm ball end.jpg
Attachments
håndtak - mm.zip
Compressed STL file. Original file exported from Rhino 7.
(49.45 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

As a suggestion, it might be better to cut both sides of the handle on the same side of the board.
Attachments
Handle same side.png
Steve