I must be missing a setting in this Inlay process

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
KevinC
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: WorkBee CNC

I must be missing a setting in this Inlay process

Post by KevinC »

So I know enough to be dangerous but am still learning. I know enough that most of my issues are user error and not the software or the machine. So I'm positive I'm missing a setting or something when it comes to cutting this inlay piece. I have read Paul's thread on the process and I didn't think I missed anything but I must be.

The pocket comes out perfect. But the Inlay is really giving me fits. I will attach some images of my setting and the simulator to help explain my point. I have set my Inlay Setting to have a 0.18 start depth and a 0.2 flat depth do create the Inlay.
Inlay Settings 1.tif
To get down to my 0.18 start depth I have set my pass cut depth to 0.05 thinking it will make 4 passes to get to my 0.18 start depth.
Inlay Setting 2.tif
However when I make my first cut it is plunging the full 0.18 start depth. It kind of shows it in the simulation.
Inlay Full Depth Cut 1.tif
Any thoughts on how to ease into this 0.18 depth would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: I must be missing a setting in this Inlay process

Post by Adrian »

That's how it works. As you've set a start depth the software assumes there is no material above that depth so immediately goes there. A start depth is really designed for machining on the bottom of a pocket not for what it is being asked to do in the vinlay process.

There is a gadget that creates toolpaths to get around that or you can do the same process manually.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=38177

KevinC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by KevinC »

Adrian wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:34 pm
That's how it works. As you've set a start depth the software assumes there is no material above that depth so immediately goes there. A start depth is really designed for machining on the bottom of a pocket not for what it is being asked to do in the vinlay process.

There is a gadget that creates toolpaths to get around that or you can do the same process manually.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=38177
Thanks Adrian I'll give that a try and see what I can come up with.

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

Hi. I am not new to forums, but I am new to this forum. I tried to click on your pictures, to see your toolpath settings, but whenever I click on any picture on this topic, it just clocks and never opens to see the picture. Can anyone help me understand why? I am using Windows 10 and Google Chrome. I do not have this problem on other forums, so it must be some setting I am missing. Also, I just opened this forum link in MS Edge to see if it might be browser specific. But I get the same thing. I can read all the forum threads, but I can click and open any attached pictures. But to add to the confusion, I am able to open and view pictures in any of the topic galleries. Those pictures open just fine. It is always in non-gallery threads. Anyone have any suggestions?

(OP, sorry to slip into your topic with unrelated topic)

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Usually when they don't open it's because the poster hasn't scaled them down for the web and they are just massive files that take a few seconds to download.

However in this case the images are 1980x1020 and 3mb in size. They are tif files rather than more usual jpg/png files so that may be causing issues.

Generally when I look at photos on posts I right click and choose "open image in new tab" so I see the photo full size. In this case it actually downloads the image rather than putting it in a new tab so I'd say it's either the browser handling or forum handling of .tif files causing it.

KevinC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by KevinC »

Try this does this work?
Inlay Settings 1.png
Inlay Setting 2.png
Inlay Full Depth Cut 1.png

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

KevinC wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:21 pm
Try this does this work?
Yes. I am able to click on each picture and they open now. However, the toolpath picture is really tiny and unreadable. So I right clicked on it to save to my computer. I opened it in Windows 10 Photo and slid the zoom. Once again, when it zooms in, it is just a blur and unreadable to me. But I see in your first post that you wrote your settings. I was interested in what you had set for pass cut depth. .05" should be fine since it will not chunk off as much each pass. However, as Adrian said, since you are setting the start depth to .18", the program thinks there is nothing from 0 and that .18" so it is carving the full .18", plus the .05". So I am not sure what to suggest since the Zinlay basically requires it. You could experiment and reduce the start depth and add that amount to the cut depth and see if you have better results. I only have Vcarve Desktop, so I don't have gadgets. Yo could try that. But I would imagine it would be the same principle as the Zinlay. Sorry I can't help much more.

KevinC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by KevinC »

Would doing a separate toolpath with my settings at 0.0 and a flat depth of 0.18 work? Then I'd have the second toolpath set at 0.18 to 0.2 to make my original cut?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

KevinC wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:48 pm
Would doing a separate toolpath with my settings at 0.0 and a flat depth of 0.18 work? Then I'd have the second toolpath set at 0.18 to 0.2 to make my original cut?
Use the gadget referred to earlier in the thread or if you want to do it manually read this - viewtopic.php?p=264755#p264755

KevinC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by KevinC »

Adrian wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:00 pm
KevinC wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:48 pm
Use the gadget referred to earlier in the thread or if you want to do it manually read this - viewtopic.php?p=264755#p264755
There's Gadgets? I didn't even know I had gadgets. I just checked I have the dropdown but no clue how to use them. What gadget would I need for this? I'm curiosity is peaked. What the hell's a gadget? LOL...

I did watch the manual video. Is that what you wanted me to see Adrian? Basically he's doing multiple toolpaths to get down the initial (in my case) 0.18? Is that correct? Or am I not seeing what you intended for me to see in that link?