toilet seat

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
gbanet
Vectric Apprentice

toilet seat

Post by gbanet »

I was inspired by Jim's carving of a porthole (http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6126) and thought I'd try to model it in Aspire. After 4 looooooooong days struggling to give this some shape, my wife walks past, glancing at the monitor and asked, "Who are you making the toilet seat for?" I almost wanted to cry! She thinks she's so funny!

This material is 1/2" pink insulated sheathing found at Home Depot.

I'd like to attach the file but its too big, 17,346kb. I compressed it to around 5,000kb but that's too big, also. Then I tried to attach it in stl format but that's not allowed. I'd share the file if someone could instruct me how to send it.

The hole was cut out because I intended on putting a photograph there and giving it to my Aunt and Uncle who have a place by the ocean. Some changes are in order, first. Add thicknes and accentuate the detail. I think think the carved area is too deep and would make that more shallow or leave it off. I planned on painting the main body brass color and paint a rust color in the carved areas. Not sure if I'll make one of mdf or other wood.

Greg
Attachments
ph_3d material.jpg
Porthole01.jpg
Porthole03.jpg

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Re: toilet seat

Post by gravirozo »

hello greg...

what could worth our life without women :-)
i just read first the title, and see it is a "window" .... and i was thinking how people could use it for toilett if it ismounted on the wall ? :-))

anyway... pretty nice work... i was also in "trouble" with files as they grow to 20 meg...

erase all layer, leave only one all vector need also to be erased... no component... leave only the outside inside conturs... and finally try to size it down, 10x10 or 8x8 or 6x6 ... even tually you get a size as zipped under 1 meg...

but it should also a request to vectric, to set filesize limit for models up to 4-5 meg... no other files only models... i have also some plan to share some simple files, models...

thanks
viktor

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Greg,

Don't underestimate the power of a toilet seat. Look at what Oscar did a couple of years ago:

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... oilet+seat

Maybe really surprise the wife with your next project.

Tim

gbanet
Vectric Apprentice

Post by gbanet »

If anyone has an interest in this file (7.5mb) and has a personal email account that allows large files, send me a pm and I'll pass it along.

Viktor, I tried to compress it without any luck. I sized it down to fit in a square just under 3/8" and it was still over 3mb and it only zipped to 1.8mb.

Tim, that sure is unique.
Greg

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Greg,

If it wouldn't allow you to post it as a .stl file, try changing the extension to .txt and uploading. Just tell us that's what you did so we can change it back.

Tim

CLyon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by CLyon »

I made an inlaid oak toilet seat. The kids tried to get me to leave the inlace (epoxy like inlay material) out, thinking that the imprint of intertwined ivy leaves would be cute on the rump!

gbanet
Vectric Apprentice

Post by gbanet »

I didn't do much sanding. Threw on some silver and a little black highlights and it still doesn't look much better. I definitely think that more depth and a smooth surface would be an improvement.

Tim, I tried to send the file as text but it was still too large. 1.8mb was the smallest zipped file and that was from resizing the model to fit in a 1/2" square.

Chris, what kind of epoxy did you use and how well has it held up? Share a pic.

Greg
Attachments
PortHole silver.jpg

stankern
Vectric Wizard

pink styrofoam

Post by stankern »

i tried the pink styrofoam 1inch thick it worked fine ,what a good practise or scrap idea .
See the sailboat in the cut3D section

CLyon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by CLyon »

Inlace was purchased from inlacebook.com, and is available from a variety of suppliers. The primary advantage the system has are the colors available. Largely equivalent results can be obtained with other epoxies and colorants. It holds up well, though I do not know about UV tolerance - though the top coat of poly probably will take care of that.

I unfortunately have no picture of this masterpiece - it resides with a distant friend. I used a commercial oak seat with a flat topped profile. The outline was traced from a photo of the seat, and scaled to match its size. After that it was a basic VCarve project.

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Post by GripUs »

I use InLace a lot and the last several batches (starting last December) have been crystalized when I opened the can. I would advise buying no more than you will use in a very short time because, while they are advertised as having a shelf life of one year, they have apparently sat on someone's shelf for almost a year or longer. When you receive your order, it is best to open each can to see if it is usable and if it isn't call the dealer right away. Don't order it for an upcoming project and then wait until you start the project to open the can only to find it is unusable...especially if you have a deadline.

Just a word to the wise.

Regards,

Joe
Ham and eggs - Inconvenient for the chicken. A total commitment for the pig.
http://www.gripus.com/

gbanet
Vectric Apprentice

Post by gbanet »

Thanks for the info on the inlace, guys. I'll have to try it out.
Greg

P_Blackwell

Post by P_Blackwell »

Joe is correct that two orders (of several) made from us since last December had Kits which were defective and had to be replaced. This is NOT the norm, and we again apologize that Joe drew the 'short straw' and has been inconvenienced on two orders. He was made whole of course, but aggravation is aggravating. We understand his 'word to the wise'. I must iterate that defective kits are not the norm - and we sell a lot of them.

We are a major InLace supplier, and are the only independent full line supplier. In the last twelve months we have made 17 wholesale orders with the manufacturer for over $22,000 product cost. Stock does NOT sit on our shelves, and anything that does not move to our satisfaction is temporarily put on sale MONTHS before shelf life could possibly be an issue. InLace Book .com has the highest professional and ethical standards and business practices. I hope that Joe agrees. His business is important to us and we would hate to lose it through circumstances beyond our control.

The manufacturer is a ma and pa basement/garage operation, and the owner continues to make adjustments to the best of his ability regarding proper storage conditions of bulk materials, and the amount of prepared product (his own turnover). We have been very proactive in providing feedback to any and all problems that do occur. Though we do not own the InLace brand and must work with the manufacturer as effectively as possible - we are THE source for InLace supplies.

Patricia Blackwell
http://www.inlacebook.com

ManitobaKeith
Vectric Wizard

Post by ManitobaKeith »

Sounds like a pretty straight up company to me if they came here to apologize & defend.
Hope they threw in an extra can Joe.
Keith
It is not only what we do,but also what we do not do,for which we are accountable-Jean Moliere

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Post by GripUs »

Hi Gang,
When I wrote the above post, I did not identify from whom I had purchased my Inlace as I did not want to be perceived as slamming a company.

The first time I had received defective kits I contacted David Blackwell at InlaceBoook.com and was directed to the manufacturer in order to secure replacement kits. The manufacturer did, indeed, replace my order along with an extra can to boot.

This last time, David sent out my replacement the same day I called. He offered some boot, but I really only wanted what I had paid for and declined his offer.

The intent of my post was to suggest that you:

1. not order more than you could use in a short time so it wouldn't go bad on your shelf.
2. order in enough time before your project that you can inspect it for serviceability and re-order if necessary.

I have used a lot of different epoxies in my grips over the years and have had success with a number of them. Inlace is, by far, the easiest to use and gives the most consistent results. I hope the manufacturer gets his act together in enough time to help David, and the other dealers, maintain a viable customer base.

Attached is a sample of an inlay done with Inlace.

My apologies to Greg for creating a distraction from his fine work in this thread.

Regards,

Joe
Attachments
USMC_SSgt.jpg
Ham and eggs - Inconvenient for the chicken. A total commitment for the pig.
http://www.gripus.com/

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hello

joe we know what you was meaning... your stuff you bought got wrong... you wanted warn people, be careful with this.. even i understood it.. just buy what you really use... not only this stuff can dry off... i have to trow away many times wood putty... after you open, it dry off fast...
anyway it solved right...
at least i could find out for what this stuff good...
the company has no hungarian translation so i have great difficulties to understand it...

thank you
viktor