Cribbage Boards

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Rick O.
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC router

Re: Cribbage Boards

Post by Rick O. »

Great work, thanks for posting the images and instructions!

I'm curious though, as to how you setup the outline to follow the letters in #2 & #3 Using the Offset tool in VCarve does not work with words, as it generates error messages because the letters are not a single vector. I see this outlining method used enough that it seems likely that there is a fairly easy way to do it.
RickO

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Offset tool in VCarve does not work with words
It works fine with words. Can you provide a specific example?

Tim

Rick O.
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rick O. »

Here is a test file, trying to Offset an outline around a word, created with the Text tool. Using the Offset tool in VCarve results in an error message: "Offset failed, check vectors for loops, crossings,etc. "
Attachments
TEST_Offsettingltrs.crv
(19.5 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
RickO

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

It is working fine for me.

I can't explain why you are seeing that error, but if you read it carefully it does not say the offset tool will not work with words, it simply says there may be a problem with the vectors.

It is always best to be sure of the situation before making concrete statements that the software won't do something that it actually does very well. Start a new thread with your observations, post screen prints and/or files and ask for help.

Tim
Attachments
offset word.JPG

Rick O.
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rick O. »

I apologize for apparently inadvertently maligning the software, and will endeavor to be more precise in my statements.

Clarification: This offset technique did not work for me, as I attempted to use it, on my own computer, using a recently purchased copy of VCarve software, on a new MacBook running Windows via Parallel. The test file that I posted is the one used in the second try, which resulted in an error on my computer.

All other features of the VCarve program seem to work fine on my own setup, as per examples seen here on the forum. I readily admit that this technique apparently works fine for other people. I also readily admit that I'm -very probably- doing something incorrectly, particularly as I'm a new purchaser of this software product.
RickO

GVJeeper

Post by GVJeeper »

I would love to get 5,6 and 7. I am going to make #1 for our local AnimalSave yearly auction. What do you think would be a good minimum bid to put on it??

Thanks!!! I really appreciate your sharing!

Perry
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Modified Shopbot PRT96

Post by Perry »

Hey LT985, just asking, do you have a file with the perfect "29" hand? I recall my father had a board that was in the shape of "29" with the appropriate cards displayed in the center.

Nice boards, all of them! Keep them coming.

LT985

Post by LT985 »

No I do not, but it wouldn't be hard to make.

P.S. all you people PM'ing me asking for files I will not share them. None of these boards took more than 20 mins to make. Watch the how to video and make them. Some of you have spent more time PM'ing me then it takes to make the board your asking about.

LT985

Post by LT985 »

Here is a video I made a long time ago it was posted in another topic so I hope this helps.

GVJeeper

Post by GVJeeper »

Thanks so much for your video. I'm new at this so this really helps...much appreciated!!! I just have one questions regarding the concave deer board. Where are the pegs? I'm designing a board with a concave carving but can't figure out where to put the pegs (the board isn't thick enough because of the dish style).

Any help is wonderful. Thank you again for all the posting you do!!

Christy

proformancevtwin
Vectric Apprentice

Post by proformancevtwin »

I have drilled holes in the sides of the board with a 3/8 bit. Tapped some threads in it, and then at my local hardware store bought parts that hold on a lampshade. The brass cap and the threaded tube. I screw the tube in the cap and glue it so it don't unscrew and then screw it in the board to keep the pegs from falling out. Usually have to drill one hole for every two or three pegs. Hope this is understandable, made sense in my mind anyways, which doesn't always say alot.

GVJeeper

Post by GVJeeper »

I think it makes sense, too, lol. I'll hit the local lamp store and see what they have. Sounds like a great idea. And, thanks so much for sharing the info.

Just one more question - does it take forever to cut them? I've started one and it says it will take a day short of a year....or there abouts, lol.

CJ

proformancevtwin
Vectric Apprentice

Post by proformancevtwin »

I can usually cut one in about 2 hours with a bowl shaped image and a 1/16 inch finishing bit. Depends on your machine and the speed you set it to cut at.

GVJeeper

Post by GVJeeper »

Oh Boy, I must really be doing something wrong :shock: , which wouldn't surprise me as I'm pretty new at this. Mine says it's going to take 10 hours!!! Would you mind sharing your settings (speed, etc.) for the various paths? I'm using Machinist to VCarvePro to Mach 3.

Any help here would be wonderful!!!

Thanks - Christy

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Christy,

Don't put much faith into the time estimates until you have adjusted the Scale Factor for your machine. Even then, it will always be just an estimate.

Tim