First work and need opinions-suggestions from the experts.

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
barsam

First work and need opinions-suggestions from the experts.

Post by barsam »

Hi all,
This is my first post and my first work. I am reading this forum for a while now and I am very impressed with all the work I have seen in here.
Actually I upgraded just yesterday my Cut3D version to Aspire and today I did my first test :D

The background for the sign I created is as follows:
My brother is in the jewelry window and interior decoration business and in a few days there is a major jewelry exhibition in Athens that is organised every year. My brother always takes place as exhibitor to this event, since all the jewelry store owner from all over the Greece visit this exhibition.
So I though it would be impressive to create a sign for his stand.
As it is my very first design and since I don't have much time before the exhibition and I am not experienced at all, I though maybe I could get some help in the form of opinions and/or suggestions from all af you in this forum.

For the ones wondering what is that thing at the left side lower part, it's a neckless presentation stand.
Attachments
Sign.jpg

tmerrill
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: First work and need opinions-suggestions from the experts.

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Barsam,

Welcome to the forum.

Judging by the quality of your first project, we will be the ones learning from you! It looks great.

Tim

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

I think it looks great! What would be real cool is if you could put a business card holder in the bottom right (just my opinion). Seeing as you don't have much time- I'd get to cutting! Be sure to post your finished pictures.

Jason

PS- Welcome to the forum!!
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Old Bot with a Rope Pull Start Spindle

Post by RoutnAbout »

I also think it looks really good, nice and clean.
The only thing that I'd suggest is that the raised "Barsamian Design Line " text will have machining marks along the sides and make it a little harder to cleanup by hand.
But will look really good if you could.
I don't know if a Vcarved text will take away from the look or not.

Looks Good
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

barsam

Post by barsam »

Thank you all very much for your feedback.
Jason I think that the idea of a card holder is very cool. I also though putting a clock at that part would be nice.
I also have a question regarding the machining of the part. I am planning to finish the whole part using a .125 ball nose cutter. Using this cutter is giving me less detail at the "Design Line" part.
Is there a way to create another tool path, using a smaller cutter, for that part only and not for the whole work piece?
I tried to select the "Design Line" model but it's giving me an error saying that no vectors where selected. If I select the vector part also, it's only creating a tool path for the upper part of the model.
I though that if I copy only that part to a new session and create the tool path separately, it will solve my problem, but I was wondering if there is a better way to do it.

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

barsam wrote:...
Is there a way to create another tool path, using a smaller cutter, for that part only and not for the whole work piece?
Draw a vector which represents the boundary of the area you want to machine. If you select this vector when you create your toolpath with the smaller tool it will only machine the area of the model inside the vector.

Brian

barsam

Post by barsam »

Thank you Brian for you info. What I was doing wrong was that I was selecting the text vector from which I created the model. It is a vector of course but rather many closed vectors and not a single one at the boundaries for the whole model.

Can someone advice me on the cutting process, should I use roughing pass for this work? Actually the cutting depth is around 11mm and I was wondering if a .125 ball nose cutter can handle it without a roughing.
I am planning to use a hard wood, something like cherry.