Learning Aspire Step 1 of 19 !!!

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Learning Aspire Step 1 of 19 !!!

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Hi folks,

For the past few weeks I've been trying to figure out a good set of graphics which I can use to learn Aspire, rather than the usual way I do it by grabbing everything from Google! Well I recently finished a throwback to my youth by reading 'The Hobbit' by JRR Tolkien, and there was a picture at the beginning of each of 19 chapters.....I think we see where this is going.... :roll:

...anyway, I took a (bad quality so auto-trace didn't work :( ) digital photo of each of the 19 pictures. I don't know if I'll ever get through them all, but I think if I do, I should have a pretty good hand on Aspire by the end. :D

This week I managed to find time to do the first one shown below, and I really learned a lot. I'd guess about 8 or 9 hours in total. I'm not entirely happy with it, but I think its a good start. :oops:

The biggest thing I learned is that James's recommendation of opening two instances of Aspire is more of a necessity when creating something complicated with lots of components! :shock:

The working instance of this one has 9 components and 4 layers.
What I have taken to calling the draft instance, the place where I create all the components individually, in this case I had two different draft instances, the first has 2 components and 10 layers (And to be honest was a bit disorganised!), the second draft instance (Better organised!) has 16 components and 21 layers.

Anyway, enough waffle!!.....I thought it was about time I contributed something to this forum. :oops: Any thoughts as always are very welcome, and any constructive criticism. I'd especially welcome any suggestion on modelling moss? :?
Attachments
Components.jpg
Screencap.jpg
HobbitChapter1.jpg

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Re: Learning Aspire Step 1 of 19 !!!

Forgot to mention.....taking guidance from Brians excellent .pdf guide on resolutions, I modelled all the components on a 12x12 piece in the draft instance, then copied them into the working instance and shrunk them down. The carved preview piece above is 12x12 also. :) L8rs.

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Thk, Fantastic job. Much better than anything I've turned out..Guess I need to be asking you for help. Looks really good.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Step 2

So I've started on the second one, unfortunately its of two dwarf type things/people. I've always shy'ed away from modelling people, but at least they're facing away. Each one of these pictures is completely different and presents a different set of problems. :D

So far I've only done the dagger because I couldn't really figure out the bottom 1/3rd of the piece :? , but I've just in the last few min's realised they're sitting on a log, so its not so bad after all!! :D We're looking at less than 30mins for the dagger if I didn't mess about so much! :roll:

As you can see, its very difficult to make out details on the picture, so there's quite a bit of guesswork involved for smaller items. :oops:
Attachments
DaggerModel.jpg
Dagger Position.jpg
HobbitChapter2.jpg

Greasetattoo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greasetattoo »

Hey Think,

I think James might be calling you in the future, if you keep up great work like that!! :P
Just a thought...
Try some animals!
Deer, elephant, gorilla or something like that!

Keep up the great work and keep us posted.

I wish I had more time to fiddle with the sculpting.
Maybe after Xmas..

Just making to many projects at the moment!

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Hi Grease. Thankyou very much for the compliment, but I'm not in James's league :oops: ! I've always been impressed by your projects. I only wish I could cut these....but good news on that front aswell, I'm collecting some more T-Slot on Tuesday and I'll be able to start my new router build, I also picked up 3 sets of shelving in Argos yesterday so that I can clear up the workshop and have some space. :D

From my limited experience, animals are almost as difficult as people to create :shock: but I'll get there eventually I hope.

Pic.4 of the 19 is a Troll
Pic 5 is 'Gollum'
Pic 6 is a wolf's face
Pic.7 is a man standing with two horse heads
Pic.12 is a sleeping dragon. Not sure if I'll ever get that far, I'm going to try working throught them in order. :D

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Re: Step 2

Thkoutsidthebox wrote:So I've started on the second one...[snip]
I had some time to work on this again today, its coming along. The 2nd troll is a work in progress. :) Not sure how I'm going to model the fire yet.... :?
Attachments
1stTroll.jpg
2ndTroll.jpg