Parrot

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
js11110
Vectric Wizard

Parrot

Post by js11110 »

Had a few hours this weekend and made this. It is made up of 40 components. Will be a component in a larger project I want to do. Hope you like it.

Jason
Attachments
parrot.jpg
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

joecnc2006
Vectric Wizard

Re: Parrot

Post by joecnc2006 »

I certainly like it, that would be a good one for your component database for sure.

joe

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Pretty good man! Keep at it!

If I may, the beak could blend a bit better with the rest of the head... maybe it's a bit too thick from the head thickness. I think the nostril should be at a different location. Really just an observation. But I'd guess it's a WIP, right? Keep us post on the final.

Moderator/Administrator: could you make it so that the linked text appear differently from the rest.

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Paco- I see what you mean with the nostril. Needs to be moved up some. Thanks for the input.

Jason

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

It was bothering me, so I had to fix it. Again- good eye!

Jason
Attachments
parrot.jpg

Lrob
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Lrob »

Jason,

Very nice. You certainly have mastered Aspire.

Larry

Khalid
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Khalid »

Very beautiful work you have done;) keep it coming...

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Jason - excellent work, you are making good use of the components! I am interested whether you keep working on one part just grouping them to keep them organized or do you work on seperate parts and bring them into one finished job file?

Cheers,
James

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

JamesB wrote:Jason - excellent work, you are making good use of the components! I am interested whether you keep working on one part just grouping them to keep them organized or do you work on seperate parts and bring them into one finished job file?

Cheers,
James
Thanx for the compliments everybody! James- What I found that works for me is I look at the job and decide what are the main parts. In this case it was the wing, the main body, the beak, etc. Then I go about making each main part using components. I'll use the main wing as a example. I made one feather- made it into a component- copy, pasted, rotated and resized it to suit the entire wing then grouped them together. Then I made the top feathers of the wing the same way and grouped them together, then I made the top part of the wing and grouped it along with the other two grouped componets together. Then I went on to making all of the other main parts the same way- grouped all of them together at the end- copied into the working model-sculpted and saved that as a my finished component. In my mind this is more organized and I can go back and make changes more easily. Sorry for the long-winded explanation but I wanted to explain how I do things in case it helps someone else. In your opinion, is that the way to do it? Or would you do it differently?

Jason

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Thanks Jason,
That does give a lot of insight on how one goes about creating great models like you've been doing.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Nice work Jason, as always.
I know it's alot of work but maybe you could post a how to in the tip section. Something along the lines on what James did during Beta.

James videos are top notch but in all fairness he thinks in 3d, I think maybe he sees the outcome long before he starts. He knows exactly how to get there. Alot of times during the videos I have to stop it and say..."Wait..what?" Backup lets do that again :D

From a new user perspective, it would be great to follow along on a project spread out over a period of time and have everyone post there results and be able to ask questions along the way. I'm struggling with initial perspective and final depth. My last model took 5 hours to cut because i felt that .47 on the low z was what it needed. Now that I look at it, i realize why James uses depth changes that are in the thousands. Lessons learned.

Anyway I understand if your not able, maybe someone else has the time. It's just a thought.

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Jason,

thanks for the write-up on how you created the model. It's helpful to see how you approached the work.

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Jason, your method as you described it is exactly the same procedure that I work with, so at least by reckoning your approach is good and the end result shows that it works.

Following on - to some extent I do think in relief 3D which is inevitable after doing as many modelling jobs as I have. An added issue with the tutorials is trying to keep them as brief as possible. They could easily have been twice as long with me just adding explanation. Anyone who has watched one fo my presentations at a ShopBot meeting or otherwise knows I can talk!

It is possible to some extent to force yourself to do the same process I do when I look at the initial artwork, even if it is not automatic. I don't know how formally Jason analyses his work before he starts but as desribed he has a good way to break it down into shapes/procedures within the software. I strongly advocate printing your starting artwork out (or make a sketch of it if you don't have starting artwork). Then sit with the print and a pencil and spend 5 minutes (or longer) thinking about it and making notes on it. There are a number of things you should do in this process, firstly try to imagine how the part will break down into components and groups of components. Then think about the shape you want it to have and what tools will be most likely to achieve this in the software. Even if your new to it and don't have the answers it always helps just to have sat and thought about the job in hand and will normally save time later. The other key thing to do is look for symmetry, repeating patterns and shapes so you only model what you need to and use copies to make the rest. I will start to think more about the process of creating work (and not just the steps). Perhaps between us we can figure out a good way to document this for the future. I would not want to put too much pressure on Jason to do a step by step as it would be awfully time consuming...Anyway I am rambling and had no intention to steer the thread away from Jason's excellent model.

Cheers,
James

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Some excellent advice there James! I usually sit and look at the picture for a few minutes and do what you described. Only I do it in my head and not on paper, and not as detailed as you I'm sure. I just kind of get the general direction of which way to go and I'm off and running. Sometimes I'm not even sure how I'm going to do it- I just know what I want it to look like and it takes me multiple tries on a component to get it right. I think I'm going to sit down with a printed picture and make some notes on my next project like you suggested because sometimes I get a little "lost" and lose my focus. I've also found that I need to walk away every so often and clear my head a little. If I had notes it would help keep me going in the right direction. Again- thanks for the advice and stay tuned for my next project!

Jason

velleca55
Model of CNC Machine: BF20 CNC Optimum - ProxMF70 CNC Usovo

Post by velleca55 »

Very nice work Jason ... compliments ... :wink: ...