Tiki Head

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Tiki Head

Post by garylmast »

I had a guy from California contacted me from a few recommendations of people at Lumberjocks.com, that knew I carved things on my CNC and that I had a large Rotary. It was quite an honor knowing people on the site knew who I was since they have over 323,000 woodworkers on the site.

He wanted one that he could show that was carved from wood, with no splice lines. The dimensions are 6-inches diameter, so I had to glue-up few boards to get the size. The first one I made out of pine, but it didn't come up to par, because it had a few clip marks, and the splice line was noticeable. I applied a bronze metal powder coating, which I though turned out cool.

The second one, because of the high price of lumber, and the awful selection of lumber at Home Depot, I picked a nice-looking redwood 2 x 8 that I spliced together. That one sucked with a lot of chip marks and stress cracks, probably from having too much moisture in the wood.

The last one, I bought a 12/4 x 6-foot length of Hard Maple, costing $260.00 at one of the national hardwood stores located in Salt Lake City. That one turned out very well and is the one I got at the top pictured. I just ask him to reimburse me for the cost of material and freight, since that cured my boredom, I had for a couple weeks.

Gary
Attachments
Tiki Head Maple1.jpg
Tiki Head Maple.jpg
Tiki Head Bronzed.jpg
Tiki Head Bronzed 2.jpg
Tiki Head Rdwood.jpg
Tiki Head Rdwood 2.jpg

wood_fly
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 Pro V5+Jetch Laser+Rotary

Re: Tiki Head

Post by wood_fly »

That's way cool - especially the story about trial and error. Thank you for sharing that!