Father and son

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Gocarter
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ pilot pro

Father and son

Post by Gocarter »

I’ve been on holidays, with nowhere to go because of lockdown, so I’ve been doing lots of modeling, carving, and having fun!

Carving is 18 x 11. Model was made in Zbrush then imported into Aspire.I actually had a lot of trouble with this one.
The less depth a model has, the easier it is to carve. The less depth it has, the less natural it looks. So I always wrestle with how much to flatten a 3-D model that I’ve made, because the model is made lifelike, and then flattened for a Bas-relief carving. You end up with lots of undercut too. So you can deal with undercuts by slicing the model cutting it in sections gluing it together, buying a five axis machine, losing your sanity by attempting to learn how to program it, or learning how to do undercuts by hand, or just leaving the undercuts. Or you continue to make adjustments to your model until you’re happy with a compromise between everything.
I did redesign this one, and even re-cut it with the fathers hands much closer to the background field. I also pulled his shoulders a little closer to the background field. And made the stool the kid was sitting on much less deep. It certainly made it easier to cut and I don’t think it affected the overall results.
Attachments
642F94E1-B507-4A16-AF83-52CB580094FF.jpeg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Father and son

Post by mtylerfl »

Very nice, Gordon!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Post by TomWS »

Looks pretty good to me!

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Looks good, I like it
Thank You
Doug

Tas
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity

Post by Tas »

Hello,

This looks great. I am trying to learn how to flatten 3D models to make bas reliefs, but struggling to find places to learn this. Do you have any references I can read to learn how to do this.

I found a few things online, but they all seem to require multiple pieces of software, and I cant seem to get any of the techniques to work. I have Aspire, Sketchup and Blender, and want to take a 3d model of a Car viewed in perspective as if you were standing a bit away from the front right corner and make a bas relief of this. I have the 3D model, and have tried a few things but nothing seems to work well in this kind of perspective. Any hints on where to look?

Thanks very much :-)

Tas

Post by Tas »

Hello,

This looks great. I am trying to learn how to flatten 3D models to make bas reliefs, but struggling to find places to learn this. Do you have any references I can read to learn how to do this.

I found a few things online, but they all seem to require multiple pieces of software, and I cant seem to get any of the techniques to work. I have Aspire, Sketchup and Blender, and want to take a 3d model of a Car viewed in perspective as if you were standing a bit away from the front right corner and make a bas relief of this. I have the 3D model, and have tried a few things but nothing seems to work well in this kind of perspective. Any hints on where to look?

Thanks very much :-)

RickW3DS
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: LongMill 30x30

Post by RickW3DS »

Have you tried Z scaling in Aspire? I seem to do that a lot with imported models and things I messed up a little in a CAD program.

Tas

Post by Tas »

Rick,

Yes I have, but it never seemed to do the right thing. If I take a full 3D model and while importing it to vectric, move it to the appropriate orientation and set its scale, it imports and looks OK in top view, but when you look at it from the side the model has been extended down to the flat level underneath. With the car example (and perspective I want) the vectic version actuall looks like a car parked on a hill side. That is, it includes the portion of the hill under it that allow the perspective view. No matter how much I tried to flatten that in Aspire, it just becomes a vertically smaller version of itself.

However I had another go after your prompt here, and found that if (in Zscaling) I set the output height rather than choose a %, It does seem to do largely what I want. I will explore this some more, but thanks for the prompt.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Tas wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:20 pm
I am trying to learn how to flatten 3D models to make bas reliefs, but struggling to find places to learn this.
The PDF linked here might be of use.