Dragons in Mountain Mahogany

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Dragons in Mountain Mahogany

Post by Tailmaker »

A year or two ago, I bought a box of Mountain Mahogany slices on eBay (like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144015848811). These are usually intended as decoration centerpieces for weddings. This wood has nothing to do with mahogany but is a shrub native to the US southwest and Mexico. Super hard (3200 Janka), dense and slow growing. Unfortunately not available commercially as lumber.

I tried a very delicate 3d-carving with fine detail, in this case Chinese dragons as relief in a dish, about 4" diameter. Came out quite nice with a 0.25mm radius TBN at 18krpm, 80ipm and 0.1mm stepover. Only finish pass, no roughing, took about 2 hours.
IMG_3348-001.JPG
I think the cut quality off the machine is excellent with minimal fuzz, easily removed with a glass fiber brush. I found it especially important, that there was no chip-out whatsoever, due to the vertical end grain.
IMG_3353-001.JPG
Looked even better with a light coat of tung oil.
IMG_3358-001.JPG
One thing I learned is next time to increase the dish diameter beyond the material to avoid the dish edge in the face of the wood slice.

I was warned by the seller that the green wood may split when dried quickly (confirmed with picture on the left), but I stored most pieces in a punctured freezer bag in the shop for a year to dry slowly and also left a few slices in the freezer for the same time. Both survived so far (right hand slice).
IMG_E3355-001.JPG
Dovetail and Finger Joint, Puzzle, Maze and Guilloche freeware at fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: Dragons in Mountain Mahogany

Post by scotttarnor »

Nice work and helpful information!
Scott T

@scottscnc

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Post by TomWS »

Fantastic carving! Hard and dense makes nice carving material. What was your plunge rate? With those aspect ratios I would think that would affect the carving speed, especially at 80IPM.

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

TomWS wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:58 am
What was your plunge rate? With those aspect ratios I would think that would affect the carving speed, especially at 80IPM.
Plunge rate and feed were the same at 80 ipm. Obviously the machine controller cuts that down sometimes to not exceed acceleration limits. But my z-stepper is a huge 1600 in-oz monster on a 15mm pitch screw that can handle a lot of very rapid up and down.
Actually I had set the speed in Aspire to 100 ipm but after watching the bit I changed the controller to 80% , worrying about that tiny tip. With the small stepover that turned out O.K.
Forgot to mention, the max depth of the carving was 0.15"
Dovetail and Finger Joint, Puzzle, Maze and Guilloche freeware at fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

THAT came out Beautiful Tailmaker!!
Color is Great with the Tung!

Yep, the density and the wood fibers being upright really helped on those Thin,Delicate uprights!!
(and the Tung will help cement the fibers)

Those are the .125" shank TBNs ?
Just cut Bloodwood, and first move was a .13" plunge and move at 90IPM in all axis with no problem.
Pretty tough little bits!!

Looking forward to more cuts with that wood!
Great work! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

scottp55 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:36 am
....Those are the .125" shank TBNs ?.........
Almost. I have 0.5mm radius bits in 1/8" but apparently I bought the 0.25mm radius bits with a 4mm shank. Maybe they were cheaper back then and it does not really matter.

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Great job, looks good
Thank You
Doug

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »