US Flag Theme Lectern

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

US Flag Theme Lectern

Post by CarveOne »

I was asked by the leader of the new location of the Roanoke Valley Veterans Museum in Littleton, NC if I could make a lectern that they could place near the front door to put their Guest Book on for visitors to fill out. I told him that I had never made one, but "I will definitely give it a shot sir". :D

I did an internet search for lecterns to see what showed up and found some that used some interesting stuff for the column, like PVC pipe, a piece of triangular TV tower, and other stuff. I already had a 6 foot piece of 2" PVC pipe on hand so I went with that. All materials used for this project were leftovers from previous projects. 1/2" plywood with good veneer on both sides, red oak scraps, and cocobolo scraps from guitar builds.

The only thing that makes this a Vectric related project is that I took a photo of our US flag's star field, converted it to vectors in Aspire, printed the Aspire screen vectors onto business card stock, cut out the stars with an Xacto knife and #11 blade, sprayed a light coat of 3M77 contact adhesive on the back and waving it around a few seconds to dry. Then after carefully aligning the sheet of star shape holes, I rubbed the sheet onto the painted (fully cured) blue paint. Then I masked off everything else and sprayed two coats of white paint on the holes. I let it tack up for a few minutes then carefully removed the sheet. There were some minor issues with under spray in a few holes that was repaired with a flat artist brush and blue paint.

The striped PVC column was spray painted white, then when fully cured it was then masked with 3/4" painters tape and painted red.

I delivered it to the Veterans Museum two weeks ago and the response from the leader and volunteers has very satisfying since then. I am a volunteer there and have been helping them move to their new location during that effort during June and July.

Richard
Attachments
20210804_130922_resized.jpg
20210805_104122_resized.jpg
20210806_110519_resized.jpg
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

wood_fly
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 Pro V5+Jetch Laser+Rotary

Re: US Flag Theme Lectern

Post by wood_fly »

I very much appreciate the "can you make this?"

I will do my best sir!

Right attitude. That's how we figure out if we can do something or not: challenge accepted! :lol:

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Thanks for the comment wood_fly. I stay busy during the summers and don't do as much with the CNC woodworking hobby. This was mostly posted as a signal that I am still around. I do a lot of stuff for a couple of the veterans groups in this community when the opportunity arises and fits in with my capabilities.

Richard
CarveOne

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Nice job and contribution Richard. Since I would go broke if I was a painter, I was quite interested how you painted it.

Gary

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Hi Gary,

I'm not much of a painter myself, certainly not an artist who can paint the individual stars and stripes by hand. I'm better at cleanup work with artist brushes though.

Richard
CarveOne

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Beautiful Gary
Thank You
Doug