CornHole Boards 2021

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

CornHole Boards 2021

Post by WNC_Ed »

So, once again I was "volunteered" to make CornHole boards for the local High school's athletic fund raiser. :shock:
Last time it was airplane wing or "spar inspired". This time I was looking at wooden boat pictures when I was informed that I had been volunteered, so immediately thought the "wooden boat look" would be a cool theme.
Woods used are cypress and walnut tops with Chilean pine sides spruce legs - all unstained and coated with High Gloss Poly.
You can't tell by the pictures but the cypress topped board does a color flop with the side away from your vantage point being a fairly deeper darker color. Pretty cool un-intended effect that might need to be explored on other projects.
Once again like the last fund raiser, the boards were the top earning item auctioned off at $325. This time the school itself bought them and will be kept for the students to enjoy.

As it turns out they remind me a lot more of a basketball court than a wooden boat but that seems appropriate so we should keep the "boat theme" a secret :lol:
Attachments
cornhole_1_2021.jpg
cornhole_2_2021.jpg
cornhole_3_2021.jpg
cornhole_4_2021.jpg
cornhole_5_2021.jpg
Maker of sawdust

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: CornHole Boards 2021

Post by scotttarnor »

Wow those look awesome! Very nice work!
Scott T

@scottscnc

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

Very nice work Ed! How do they play?
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

Charlie_l
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II

Post by Charlie_l »

Be sure that only expert players use these. They look so nice you don’t want anything to hit the wood. Only the hole. :D
Charlie
Aspire, CAMaster Stinger II

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Nice to see you posting again Ed! :)
And with a really nice "Volunteered" project!!

Shows how behind the times I am with sheet goods....A "Herringbone Plywood"! :wink: :wink:
"Wide Board Pumpkin Pine" must be coming next?

Seriously Ed...can you post any construction pics,
or maybe explain if that was flooring or made from scratch on that beautiful surface?
I take it that was the standard Inlay(?), but what was material depth, and actual inlay depth?

Well Done Ed!! :) :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

Thank you all for the kind words.

Scott,
I really did take "during" pictures when I started this but have lost them along the way.

In retrospect a standard inlay would have been a lot more efficient. But I was caught up in the "wooden boat look" and wanted to try my hand at it without actually building a boat.
I started with 2 sheets of 1/4" plywood 24"x48" as the base and cut out the bag holes and the "T"s on the CNC using an 1/8" end mill and cutting on the vector.
I was careful to mark the location on the spoil board where the edges of the sheets were. The bit cut through the material which marked the "T"s on the spoil board for me.
I then milled up a couple of boards - one walnut and one cypress to 5 quarters and sliced off 5/16th thick strips. Glued the first strip right down the center and then the rest at a 45 degree angle to that, ensuring that the strips overlapped the edges of both the "bag holes" and the "T holes" and the sides.
I also glued down horizontal strips on the "T"s that came out of the "T Holes".
So at this point I have a dark laminate sheet and a blonde laminate sheet and a dark "T" and a blonde "T"

First I set up the "T"s on the CNC one at a time as close as I can get to the outline cut into the spoil board from the original cuts.
using the same end mill I cut the Ts on the outside of the vector in order to get rid of the overhanging strips.
Then I loaded the sheets one at a time in as close as I could get to the same spot on the CNC bed and cut out the bag holes and T holes again to get rid of the overhanging strips, this time cutting on the inside of the vector.
At that point was pretty happy with the fitment and everything looked pretty good so started sanding. 80 grit & 120 grit

Next took 2 - 3/4" sheets of plywood the same size as the laminated sheets and cut the bag hole on the CNC.
Then masked off the area where the "T"s fit on the 3/4" plywood with tape and glued the laminated sheets to the 3/4" plywood.
Once that dried I removed the tape and glued the T's into their cavities for a complete surface. Coated with sanding sealer and did the 120 grit and 220 grit sanding to get things flat and smooth. I used a flush trim router to clear the overhanging strips and get the outside of the sheets back to the original 24"x48".
Then three coats of gloss poly.
The sides are just 1x4 clear Chilean pine (sounds fancy but what Lowes had in stock for clear pine) with a rabbit in the top and a round over. The sheets mount in just a little proud of the top of the sides for a nice shadow line.

It was a fun project and I enjoyed doing it.

Hopefully I will get more CNC time and more forum time in the coming weeks or months - life has been hectic.
Maker of sawdust

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Great job Ed
Thank You
Doug

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thank you Very much for the step-by-step Ed!!
Great work!!
Cedar "Strip"canoe is next...Right ? :) :)
It has been a crazy year and a half!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Great job Ed
Thank You
Doug

Harleyretired
Model of CNC Machine: DWC 2440

Post by Harleyretired »

Good day what did you seal the wood with. What type of sealer.

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Great Job. Now my plain ones look really cheap! :?
Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale