Another Staved Project

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Another Staved Project

Post by Tailmaker »

Some 2 years ago I wanted to make barrels and similar shaped things using staves and wrote a program to calculate the .stl of such staves (before bending) based on e.g. top, middle and bottom diameter, height, wall thickness etc. I ended up making a mini-conga and posted the result on this forum.

Now I applied the method to making staves for a vase with kind of a reversed barrel shape, i.e. one that is slimmer in the middle. Again, just playing with possibilities.

This is the stave shape as calculated:
VaseStaveSTL.JPG
Cut on the CNC 2-sided from strand-pressed bamboo flooring boards. Turned out to be a bad idea. While the light colored natural bamboo is highly flexible and strong, the heat treated brown bamboo parts are extremely brittle and splintery.
StavesCut.JPG
The wall thickness was too much to bend in shape so I boiled the staves for a while to soften up.
StavesBoiling.JPG
Kind of worked but I had several staves break or splinter while pre-bending. I think natural bamboo only or even other hardwoods would have been easier.
BendingStaves.JPG
Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: Another Staved Project

Post by scotttarnor »

I am amazed at the projects you take on! I am also grateful that you share you failures as well as your successful projects!
I also love your puzzle gadget!
Scott T

@scottscnc

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

Continued....

With some trouble I got the 21 staves assembled and tacked together with CA glue:
AssembledAndTacked.JPG
The program also calculates the proper diameter and chamfer angles for lids on both sides:
ChamferedLid.JPG
The assembly is sanded smooth on the lathe:
SandedAssy.JPG
Final strength and a smooth surface is accomplished using a thick coat (maybe 1/16"?) of table top epoxy. To avoid epoxy just dripping off, the lathe is kept running at very low speed (about 50 rpm) while the epoxy cured.
TabletopEpoxyCoat.JPG
Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

Continued...

The hardened epoxy is again sanded smooth up to 1000 grit and buffed with steel wool and polish paste.
BuffedFinish.JPG
So this is the final result. Looks good to me...
Can not be used for flowers that need water but rather for dry flower arrangements.
CompletedVase.JPG

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Like Scott A. , You're projects always blow me away Tailmaker! :)
CA'ing all those staves would just about do me in.:)
My Dad's grandfather
(that we kids weren't allowed to meet because of Gram "He's just a drunken Irish Cooper")...
Would have feared for his Job!! :)

Amazing what you come up with G!
Would you have tried it without a Lathe??
Congrats!!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Cool project. 'Turned' out great :D

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

It's plain to see that this project took a lot of planning and assembly time. FWIW, am very impressed.
Steve

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

scottp55 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:26 am
.....CA'ing all those staves would just about do me in....
Not that bad. I first stuck the staves to 2 strips of duct tape, wrapped it up and tightened around the lids and in the middle with several hose clamps. Then removed the tape and tacked the gaps between the staves with medium CA glue, just to hold everything in place. Then removed the hose clamps and chucked on the lathe for sanding.
....Would you have tried it without a Lathe??....
Not sure. Actually I did not use the motor to spin it while sanding but used an ROS and turned the spindle by hand. That way I had more control to sand off bumps and CA glue beads.
But I could not have done the epoxy pour without the lathe spinning slowly. Maybe a rotisserie grill would have done it as well :roll:
Also, when buffing the epoxy I had the lathe motor run at higher speed. Saves a lot of elbow grease...

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Aah....DUCT TAPE! :) :)
JUST had to dig through mine to find the Duck Brand No-Residue
(can't find it in a recent search, so went with 3M removable..hope it has the same characteristics!)
(Ace Hardware(mine at least) doesn't carry the Ace Brand in/outdoor fiberglass 1.88" tape either:)
Time to start searching for another brand if the 3M I ordered doesn't work on Tinys)

Yep....I can see how that made the CA much more reasonable!
Thanks for the lathe opinion G. !

Have a Vectric forum guy visiting in about an hour...gotta boost!! :)
Nice project!!
(the math would have had me ripping the last remaining hair out of my head:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

always inspiring - your posts always welcomed and deeply appreciated!