This buds for you

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

This buds for you

Post by Xxray »

Anyone who has lived around metro Detroit for any length of time and who burned at one point in their lives knows this place, guess they used to be called head shops - Same thing now, just called boutiques.

Used to smoke MJ quite a bit as a kid and went there to buy papers, bongs, toke stones ect, lots of stuff. I stopped in my mid 20's and never puffed since then [a bit over 50], just don't have the desire or see the point. But I still stop by this place now and then just for a blast from the past, hasn't changed in decades.
Of course alot of the modern stuff they sell is unknown to me, I like to check out their Tshirts, lighters and other odd stuff, they have quite an adult section as well which I have never ventured far into.

I like the chicks there, good vibes and good people, so I decided to make them a gift [not purely from my great heart, this will have some eyeballs on it and inquiries made who made it].
10x10 corian with matching base, kinda botched this one. I wanted to leave a .25 or so border on all sides, a little more for the bottom piece which fits into the slot of the base.
Didn't center well and 1 side was obliterated while the other had .5 waste, don't know how I missed by those margins, 1/8 would be a large error for me. So all I could do was scrap my plan for borders and cut off the other side. First I left the top intact but it looked kinda pointless and awkward without the sides so I sliced that off as well - Problem was its real close to the lettering, and I managed to shave the S and left it a little uneven, as I couldn't sand any more off without going into the lettering more.

If this was paid by a customer then I would have started a new one, but since its a gift this'll have to do. Was going to engrave some leafs in the base and inlay them green or black, would have been a nice touch but laziness won the day and I left it plain.

Would be a superb project for someone who can paint, the details in the wall and leaf are great [might have to zoom in to see the brick background] A place like that strikes me as a place thats bound to have an artist. I can paint sure but nothing to brag about, the bricks can't simply be painted red and the leaf green and expected to look like a masterpiece. It would need shading, color variation, aging perhaps, and alot of work with a grey/tan paint pen to do the mortar lines.
If they ever do colorize it I'll post back with a pic.
IMG_6843.jpg
Doug

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: This buds for you

Post by scotttarnor »

Looks good! The coloring and shading might not be as hard as you think! Check out some of Michael Tyler’s videos and his glazing techniques. His technique and tips are Great!
Scott T

@scottscnc

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Don't think I'll ever have the eye to do a good paint job on something like this, I have tried and it looks cartoonish.

Gave it to the girls today, they were quite surprised and happy. Thing looks real nice backlighted as well, I suggested thatso they'll probably do that. Could actually be painted and still backlit, if I had intended that would have made it as thin as possible.
Doug

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

NICE thought and gift Doug!
(You just never know when some project will lead to a good custom job)

No perfectly planned Project survives first contact with the Bit. :)
Great recovery, and a FINE gift!!
scott
Amazing a head shop survived my HS graduation year till Now!!
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.