Walking Stick -continued-

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Walking Stick -continued-

Post by dhellew2 »

The following are the parts and a few tips for making rotary walking sticks.
They are first rounded and desired profile shapes cut.
I use a 1.5mm ball-nose solid carbide 3-flute spiral bit, single pass (no roughing), 0.23" deep.
The parts I use to make walking sticks, this one is  Douglas fir (2x4 from Lowes). <br />Top half is already finished with Teak/Tung oil mix.<br />Threaded insert, finish ring, rubber cane tip, size 1 baby shoe, sock, sock toe insert, and mystery braid wrist strap with ss screw and washer.<br />The toe insert is plastic sheet packing folded over half way then rolled as needed to make the front part of a foot shape, then a piece of tape to hold it together.<br />The completed stick with cane tip attached is inserted into the sock between the toe insert and shoe heel. fasten shoe and you are done.
The parts I use to make walking sticks, this one is Douglas fir (2x4 from Lowes).
Top half is already finished with Teak/Tung oil mix.
Threaded insert, finish ring, rubber cane tip, size 1 baby shoe, sock, sock toe insert, and mystery braid wrist strap with ss screw and washer.
The toe insert is plastic sheet packing folded over half way then rolled as needed to make the front part of a foot shape, then a piece of tape to hold it together.
The completed stick with cane tip attached is inserted into the sock between the toe insert and shoe heel. fasten shoe and you are done.
You will have fuzz
You will have fuzz
Most of the fuzz can be removed with an air nozzle
Most of the fuzz can be removed with an air nozzle
Because you are using a ball nose bit you will have a line at the end of the rotary. Sometimes cutting relives stress in the wood so you may have an even deeper line. <br />The stress-relief will just take a bit more sanding.<br />Since the line follows the wood grain it is easy to remove enough to not be seen.
Because you are using a ball nose bit you will have a line at the end of the rotary. Sometimes cutting relives stress in the wood so you may have an even deeper line.
The stress-relief will just take a bit more sanding.
Since the line follows the wood grain it is easy to remove enough to not be seen.
The line left by the ball nose is very small and can be easily removed with a piece of sand paper or a small file. I use a 1/4&quot; wide fine diamond file.
The line left by the ball nose is very small and can be easily removed with a piece of sand paper or a small file. I use a 1/4" wide fine diamond file.
Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Walking Stick -continued-

Post by garylmast »

I just did a small Labrador on the rotary and thought about making it as the top for a walking stick. Thanks for the info Dale.

Gary
Attachments
IMG_1926.JPG

sobfu
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: China CNCZOne 6040 4 axis

Post by sobfu »

It looks great and I love the idea of adding a tiny shoe to the stick, I bet you get lots of comments from people you meet on the hiking trails.

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Dog would make a great stick or cane topper. If you want a wrist strap you could mount it under the dog, perhaps with a double ended lag screw.
I've made and donated over 100 walking sticks all with a shoe. Lots of comments about comments received by the stick owners. :D
Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale