Heart Cross - With a more rounded shape

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Heart Cross - With a more rounded shape

Post by CarveOne »

These are smaller than previous versions and have a more rounded shape. Made of 1/4" thick Padauk (in keeping with the red color of my other heart projects). A Whiteside 1540 60 degree 1/4" shank carbide cutter cuts the V-carved lines. A 1/16" diameter carbide end mill for cutting printed circuit boards is used for all other operations. The heart shaped hole is pocketed through the material. The profile cuts are cut through the material using three 0.050" thick tabs. The finish is one coat of Birchwood Casey True Oil. The crosses were soaked in the oil finish and left for 10 minutes, then removed and wiped clean with paper towel.

The rings are made of copper plated MIG welding wire as was shown in a previous Cross project I posted. The zipped DXF file shows 34 Crosses on a standard size sheet of 1/4" Padauk as sold by a supplier. Purchased at a not-so-nearby woodworking store, but should be available online. I prefer to select the wood myself. Note that the preview image shows the wood grain running in the wrong direction.

If anyone asks how I put such a clean heart shaped hole in the middle of the Cross, I tell them I used a solid carbide heart drill bit. :roll:

So far, the recipients have been very complimentary of this particular version. :D

Richard
Attachments
Rounded Heart Cross - No Finish.jpg
Rounded Heart Cross - With Finish.jpg
Rounded Heart Design.jpg
Rounded Heart Cross.zip
(387.26 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Re: Heart Cross - With a more rounded shape

Post by jimwill2 »

Very nice! Thank you.
Jim Williams

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

You are very welcome Jim. To all who download it, have fun with this file and make some smiles with it.

Richard
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I like That design and use of materials Richard!! :)
I bet they like and appreciate those and created some smiles yourself. :)
(17 downloads and only one Thank You??:( )

I still remember my first button designs, and you telling me to try using various angle small VBits
instead of the.125" BN I was using(I only had 7 bits then:), and look where that led me. :)
Thank you Richard!!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Thanks Scott.

Yes, nice smiles indeed. This troubled world needs many more of them.

The end mill was found in a box of assorted carbide cutters from Harbor Freight. The 0.0625" bit's cutting length is barely enough to cut through the material. If anyone wants more detail I will post a closeup photo of the cutter and the setup parameters of the three operations involved. The numbers are my just guess, but the bit survived it for 2 hours cut time.

BTW, I heard a rumor that the US Treasury was going to start printing money on Unobtainium in an effort to strengthen the economy .....

Richard
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Just adding Richard.
I haven't used this particular bit as it's new, BUT have used the same bit in the shorter length for
several thousand buttonholes/keyfob holes/etc, and some pocketing.
Think I still have the original, and cut everything from Cherry to Bloodwood Very cleanly.
VERY clean mini pocketing surface with the downcut.
Just mentioning, as very good experience for years with Drillman1and Kyoceras.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/382300874165?ha ... Sw9mpaI3X-
There should be singles in there as well as the package, but didn't look enough.

Keep up the good work Richard! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Scott,
I had another thought about Unobtainium. Isn't that what cryptocurrency is made of? Something of value that you can't hold in your hands? :roll:

Richard
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

:) Even IF I Had money...I think I'd stay away from that stuff :)

Actually if I'd had enough room I would have said Paraphrased by Brady.
I was joking with him when I was a rank Newbie!
Said I was hoping he had come up with a "Perfect" universal hold down I could "Copy"(steal:) .
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showth ... gging-Pics

Just one of the words that "Should" be that he liked to make up.
Like "Shluckify" ....A word to describe the perfect amount of grease for rack and pinion Shopbots. :)
Paraphrased... "Proper shluckificaction of the rack is key to to good pinion gear life" :)

Unobtainium for me is a "Perfect" cut. :)
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Me too Scott. Too much of a scam for me to engage any of my extra money in it. (All $10.00 of it) Even IRA savings are not guaranteed.

Anyway, I hope those who download the Heart/Love Cross file get some good use out of it, as I have.

Going on to other types of projects now. Couple of new guitars, and a Paradise Box for my 60th high school class reunion that's three years away. Can't make the trip to attend the next Vectric Camp due to the long distance and expense.

Richard
CarveOne

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Richard, these look great! I've done some small stuff, so I can't wait to see if I have enough bits to break on these crosses! :D

I just tried some of the BC Tru-Oil, but I didn't have enough to soak anything. I was applying it thin by hand, because it was cheap plywood. I'm certainly going to get the big jar and try soaking small parts next time.

Thanks!
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Thank you for your interest in this project Tex!

With the parameters I used for the 1/16" end mill it survived for the full 2 hours estimated cut time. The feed rate, plunge rate, and depth of cut numbers are conservative though, because I didn't mind waiting so long. With something like laser cut birch aircraft plywood these could be 1/8" thick and be strong enough in the center. I would spray paint a few coats on those though.

My cut order was:
1. Cut the lines, with a 60 degree V-bit (I used a Whiteside #1540 with a 0.035" cut depth)

2. Cut the Ring Hole locations, 0.05" deep with a 1/16" end mill. (I completed drilling the holes on a drill press with a 1/16" drill bit after removing the Crosses from the sheet of material)

3.Cut the Heart Hole pockets, with the 1/16" end mill to full depth in 0.025" pass depths to full depth.

4.Cut the outer profiles, with the 1/16" end mill to full depth in 0.025" pass depths to full depth. I used three tabs of 0.25" width and 0.050" thickness for each Cross. (You can see the tab locations in the preview image.)

If anyone wants the feed and plunge rates that I used for the PC board end mill, I will provide that as well.

Richard
CarveOne

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

CarveOne wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:23 pm
2. Cut the Ring Hole locations, 0.05" deep with a 1/16" end mill. (I completed drilling the holes on a drill press with a 1/16" drill bit after removing the Crosses from the sheet of material)
I wonder if using the 60-degree V-bit might be "better" as a locator for the subsequent drill press drilling. It would be kind of like using an awl.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Yes, that would work just as well. It would have taken a little less time to mark all 34 locations. I could also have set the drilling depth to be less deep with the end mill method. The intent was to do something to mark the hole locations more accurately than just to manually drill it by eyeball.

Richard
CarveOne

Daniel S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger SR-23

Post by Daniel S »

Thanks for the file. I made several of the first version for family and friends and everyone liked them very much.

Dan

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Thanks Dan, I'm glad that this version has been so popular.

One other modification to this version would be to pocket the heart hole to 1/8" or 3/16" deep to make it a little stronger. I liked the through hole better and responses I have gotten seems to be mostly in agreement.

Richard
CarveOne