Experimenting with Laser Add On

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
martindg
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity X-50 Woodworker

Experimenting with Laser Add On

Post by martindg »

I've been wanting to experiment with adding a laser to my machine but didn't want to take a heavy $ plunge until I knew this was going to work out. So, I decided to take a flyer on a $99 3.5 watt OxLaser off of Amazon. I was able to design and 3D print a fixture for the laser module that fit in my current router mount. Still playing around with feed/power setting and figuring out when incorporating Z movements in the laser tool paths is most effective. This is the first sample project I used the laser on. The photo doesn't do the resin pour for the lake justice due to reflections. This will also have a frame added to kind of hide the chip out around the perimeter caused by the lower grade plywood used for the stock. All that being said, at $99 for the laser and $49 for the Laser Add On for Aspire I'm pretty pleased. Wanted to just throw this out there as a possible lower cost alternative to adding laser capabilities.
Attachments
IMG_0339 (1).jpeg
IMG_0338 (1).jpeg
IMG_0337 (1).jpeg

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: Experimenting with Laser Add On

Post by scotttarnor »

I think it looks good! Nice work!
Scott T

@scottscnc

Beltramidave
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FLA Saturn 4x4 / 7W & 60W lasers

Post by Beltramidave »

Looks great!

How close to the material do you have to focus your laser? With the JTech lasers, your focus is 1/8" off of material which can cause some issues when trying to follow a contour with the Z axis.
Dave
https://lakesedgewoodcraft.com/

martindg
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity X-50 Woodworker

Post by martindg »

Thanks Dave,

In response to the Z setting for the laser, the Oxlaser unit does not come with a shroud at the working end which, of course, means that its critical to wear the safety glasses. The lack of the safety shroud provides a lot more working area below the unit. The unit is also focusable so my initial experimenting suggested that I can set the Z (working end) 30mm above the work surface and then adjust the focus to a very small dot. I added an air assist nozzle in the fixture and that extends below the working end a bit. all told I can get about 5/8" working area beneath the unit. I set the model depth on this project to .6 and didn't run into any problems. I went ahead and 3D printed a 30mm focusing billet to facilitate setting the Z on the unit. What surprised me a little bit is how well this worked when projecting the laser toolpath to the 3d surface and then using a post processor that included Z movements. Did a really nice job f keeping the beam in a sharp focus on the terrain surface.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Very nice. The laser really fits the project. Also, great implementation of the laser.