Heart/Love Theme Cross

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Heart/Love Theme Cross

Post by CarveOne »

This started out as an additional gift for my wife's 73rd birthday last month so she has something new to show off at church. It is my own idea, with the 1/4" thick red Padauk wood being part of the overall theme. It has one coat of Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil rubbed into it and then wiped off. This project turned out to be very popular, so I made about 30 to give away to other deserving wives that we know.

It can be worn on a chain style necklace. It does not have the V-carved lines on one side so that it can be worn with either side showing. The copper ring is made of copper coated MIG welding wire. These are otherwise cut with a 1/16" diameter printed circuit board carbide cutter at 45 ipm feed rate. When asked how I cut that full depth heart so cleanly I reply "With a very sharp heart shaped drill bit." So far, NO ONE has believed it. :roll:

They are 2-1/4" wide and 2-7/8" tall. I don't mind posting the vector file for one Cross if anyone is interested.
Attachments
Heart Cross - Front.jpg
Heart Cross - Rear.jpg
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Heart/Love Theme Cross

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Nice. If she shows them off be ready for a lot of requests.
Steve

Daniel S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger SR-23

Post by Daniel S »

Hi CarveOne,
I would like to have the file if you are willing to share. I have some Padauk wood I used to make the Happy Fall project that Beki from Vectric created. I used it to make the leaves and acorn. I think my wife and granddaughters and daughter would really like them. So thanks for making it. Its a very nice design.

Dan

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

NICE CarveOne! :)

Just a note from personal experience...and may not even be pertinent as it's a Cross and not a button.

But when you helped me CarveOne on button protos, right after that we started doing finish tests.At the time Padauk was one of the 4 species to be used.
Our final finish tests were with a molten soaking in 80/20 (Polymerized Linseed/beeswax),
and then 3 coats cold before giving them the washing machine on delicate cycle 4 times with Woolite.
Our photographer/salesperson snagged one right after molten dip so she could sew it on a white shirt for church....STAINED it! :(
Even after 4 coats the salmon color would transfer to white cloth with a firm rub :(
Finally took 4 coats of Watco Natural Danish Oil to eliminate color transfer.
(and that threw off production a bit.
So we swapped to Bloodwood for that reason(and Padauk color change))

Like I said, a necklace isn't a button, but lots of white blouses in church.
Do a test on piece of white sheet or such....Padauk color did NOT come out of Kelly's dress shirt:(

scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

scottp55 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:18 am
NICE CarveOne! :)

Just a note from personal experience...and may not even be pertinent as it's a Cross and not a button.

But when you helped me CarveOne on button protos, right after that we started doing finish tests.At the time Padauk was one of the 4 species to be used.
Our final finish tests were with a molten soaking in 80/20 (Polymerized Linseed/beeswax),
and then 3 coats cold before giving them the washing machine on delicate cycle 4 times with Woolite.
Our photographer/salesperson snagged one right after molten dip so she could sew it on a white shirt for church....STAINED it! :(
Even after 4 coats the salmon color would transfer to white cloth with a firm rub :(
Finally took 4 coats of Watco Natural Danish Oil to eliminate color transfer.
(and that threw off production a bit.
So we swapped to Bloodwood for that reason(and Padauk color change))

Like I said, a necklace isn't a button, but lots of white blouses in church.
Do a test on piece of white sheet or such....Padauk color did NOT come out of Kelly's dress shirt:(

scott
I will definitely check that out thoroughly Scott. I just tried one against a shirt that has white areas in the cloth pattern and no problem was seen even with some pressure. Thank you for the warning.
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Daniel S wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:02 pm
Hi CarveOne,
I would like to have the file if you are willing to share. I have some Padauk wood I used to make the Happy Fall project that Beki from Vectric created. I used it to make the leaves and acorn. I think my wife and granddaughters and daughter would really like them. So thanks for making it. Its a very nice design.

Dan
Here you go Dan, enjoy. Let me know if there are any problems.
Attachments
Single Heart-Love Cross.crv3d
(370.5 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Single Heart-Love Cross.dxf
(1 MiB) Downloaded 80 times
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Good on the Tru-Oil then CarveOne :)
Just mentioning as Kelly was P****d Off :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Daniel S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger SR-23

Post by Daniel S »

Thank-you!!!
I am very thankful for your design. We have 50th wedding anniversary coming up early next year and I like to make things for my wife that I know she will like and use or wear and this definitely fits the bill.

Dan

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

scottp55 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:08 am
Good on the Tru-Oil then CarveOne :)
Just mentioning as Kelly was P****d Off :)
Though it is primarily sold as a gun stock finish, I find it to be useful as a CNC project finish also. Worth trying. I don't care for glassy looking finishes on wood. Depends on the project to some degree though.
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Yep "Glossy" isn't my favorite either
(but Mom likes it so I mixed a batch with Pine Rosen(Earthpaint "3D Illuminator") which does a good job IF light coats are used.
May pick up some True-Oil as another tool(and for a Parker side by side passed down 4 generations whose stock needs some touch up work).

Thanks R. :)
scott
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Daniel S wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:21 am
Thank-you!!!
I am very thankful for your design. We have 50th wedding anniversary coming up early next year and I like to make things for my wife that I know she will like and use or wear and this definitely fits the bill.

Dan
My idea worked very well for me. My wife made me do it, even though she had no idea what I was up to. :D

Share it with others as you wish to. I also put some of these in a bowl at the entrance of our church for others to grab.
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

scottp55 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:46 pm
Yep "Glossy" isn't my favorite either
(but Mom likes it so I mixed a batch with Pine Rosen(Earthpaint "3D Illuminator") which does a good job IF light coats are used.
May pick up some True-Oil as another tool(and for a Parker side by side passed down 4 generations whose stock needs some touch up work).

Thanks R. :)
scott
Many years ago before I got involved in CNC I made some thumb hole rifle stocks. pistol grips, and stocks for the T/C Contender single shot pistols using my large bench top milling machine and other hand tools. That was fun too. Still wish I had converted the milling machine to CNC also.
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

:)
Always wanted a Contender:)
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

scottp55 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:13 pm
:)
Always wanted a Contender:)
Then you don't want to see the one I put together from a legally purchased frame, a stainless 17" .308 caliber bull barrel, and then made a legal length thumb hole laminated walnut break action rifle stock for it. The stock is cut at the pivot point so that the thin arced gap "slides" when opening and closing. When closed it it looks like a full rifle stock. That one got some attention on the Specialty Pistols Forum in the gallery. Can't see it unless you pay to subscribe to the forum. I'm not a member anymore, so I would have to go through all of my many years of old backup files to find a photo of it. Might have been 20 years ago.
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Nope Richard....drooling on keyboards is frowned upon! :)

No car, and a neighbor 200 yards in one direction....
Think I'll stick with my two RWS airguns(a "Club" pistol and a varmint rifle) and shoot whenever I want inside or outside:)...less chance of cops arriving:)

I bet is was a work of art!
scott
R.N.