Cargo Box for my new Electric Motorcycle

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Cargo Box for my new Electric Motorcycle

Post by scottp55 »

NICE option for your troubles 4D :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

It took them so long as they had to revisit their production facility to figure out how to make sure the same thing didn't happen again. Apparently they declared all the same models that were produced in the same batch as mine as "do not sell". The new one they are sending me is a product of more diligent quality control and slightly revised production steps. When it shows up I'll know to better inspect the whole bike before letting the shipper go.

Initially they offered me a $500 credit on accessories. I wasn't interested in anything other the the upgraded battery, but it was $1000. Another 2 weeks went by though, and when I was finally given a tracking number they told me about the new one coming with the battery upgrade. Appreciation for my patience.

4D

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

You drive a good bargain.... I'll remember not to barter with you. :D

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Silence WAS Golden :)
Sounds like a good, conscientious company.

I'm with Gerry as far a dickerin' with you 3D :)

(Really would have hard for you to see after the paint shop covered it!)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

scottp55 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:02 am
Sounds like a good, conscientious company.
My tactic these days when such a thing happens is to be nice, throw in a little humor, make sure they know I understand the delay, etc,.
Their customer rep kept me regularly updated via email about what was going on and why. I didn't ask for or insist on any "'reward" for my patience. The rep offered it up. I mentioned a couple of things off their accessories page I could use but really didn't need. Far less than the $500 offered. I also let it slip that what I could really use was the battery upgrade but didn't have the extra $500 it would have cost. I also made it clear I'd be perfectly happy just getting back a new running OSA+.

4D

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

First trip to the grocery store with the cargo box on the back worked out pretty well. Packed it full with groceries and enjoyed the ride in the cool temps of the morning. Carried about 1/3 the volume of groceries I normally buy when I take my gas powered van. 3 electric trips will still use less energy than one gas powered trip so I consider this a win. This electric MC isn't as quick off the line as my Suzuki 650, but is considerably less noisy and and the cargo box holds much more than the under-seat bin of the Suzuki does.

4D

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

I'm very much enjoying this electric motorcycle now. So far I've only found one minor manufacturing flaw and today finally was able to resolve it myself. There is a keyed lock that keeps the battery locked to the frame. The first OSA+ I received had separate key for the battery lock and the steering lock, but this one only came with keys that worked the steering lock.

After a few emails back and forth with the friendly folks at CAKE support it was deduced that a manufacturing change simplified things by using the same key for both locks. My battery lock though didn't work with the keys I had. Today I gave it a closer inspection and discovered that my battery wasn't locked in and could be lifted right out. Once removed from the battery tray I could inspect the lock closer. The lock bolts to a metal bracket that screws to the bottom of the battery tray. The locking bolt passes through a hole in that bracket, but appeared to be jammed against the side of the hole it should slide through. I removed the lock from that bracket and discovered I could now use the key I had to make it work. Some lock lubricant made the action even smoother. It was the misaligned hole in the bracket that kept the lock from working. A few minutes of grinding the hole with my Dremel and I was able to reinstall the lock so it could work when tightened down. Chock up another victory against manufacturing flaws.

4D

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Hoping you're keeping the company appraised of all your "Prototype Testing"
and compensation is in the works 4D :)

GLAD you're enjoying it!! :)
scott
R.N.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Yep Scott. Seems like more and more the things I get delivered on pallets end up needing a little after-sale "refinement". My table saw had misaligned holes for the fence rails. My Nova Voyager drill press needed a not-yet-available software update to add the promised features I couldn't find on it when it first arrived. I'm beginning to suspect these fix-it-yourself flaws are a test by manufacturers to measure how industrious their customers really were. A research project perhaps. Social experiment?

In any case I'm happy I have the sense and tools needed to identify the flaw, come up with and then accomplish a fix.
The battery should have been locked in place when I got the bike, but clearly they couldn't get the lock to work before they shipped it to me. Seems like they must have known I'd eventually be contacting them about the battery lock. A test perhaps?

4D

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

They're acting on your concerns 4D... :)
Seems like a couple "optional accessories" should be available :)

A little different than my Beemer's 1977 report that 1976'ers could "Walk Away" from 1977's :)
Of course that was when they went Unleaded, and 98 Octane disappeared . :)
(AND when they went 800cc the next year:)
(It was kinda nice when 1976 Engineer "advisement" was to change ONE bolt to 5/8" diameter because of 9 complaints of bolt failure:)

I'd have had to added nickle plated valves and heads(or go airplane av fuel (50 gallon)) and "Octane boost"
with lead supplement to keep with the Owner's Manual(Sunoco "260" disappeared).

Times they do change:)
Help them to adapt!
Batteries will be the next "high theft item" after Impact Bags are fully stocked:)
Sounds like you are leading edge...which can be problematic (potentially).
Good luck 4D :)
Kudos on helping a developing tech!! :)
scott
R.N.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Looking back I guess if I see tech or tools I can take advantage of I'll jump on it, which often finds me doing some beta testing/problem solving for the manufacturer. I also occasionally end up with nonworking tech that has been abandoned by the manufacturer and is unfixable. I'm thinking of my dead robot vacuum, a HD TV that isn't a flat screen and weighs 90lbs, and a 3D printer made by a company now out of business that ran perfectly when new but died of inevitably bad manufacturing decisions.

The world of battery electric replacements for what use to be corded or gas powered things is full of missteps and false starts. I'm on my 4th generation of cordless drills right now. Literally smoked more than my fair share of batteries and motors to get here.

I should have known this electric motorcycle might come with growing pains given how new the company is. The design stroked my "that's brilliant" gene for the accessory potential I knew I could take advantage of. The company is already making design changes that have my 2nd OSA+ being better in several ways than my first OSA+. Lock bracket not yet on that list, but I suspect from this incidence on every lock bracket will be an improved/refined design.

4D