We need it by......

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

We need it by......

Post by Savannahdan »

Had a visitor come to my house Sunday evening requesting that I make a Coat of Arms. There just 2 problems - 1) the graphic was really bad and 2) they needed it for Wednesday morning, which means they needed it completed by Tuesday mid-day for installation on a podium. I came out of retirement this March and work fulltime. I was given "permission" to take Monday and do the project then. It had to be done in a light wood, measured 17"(x) by 24"(y). Length isn't a problem but I had to glue up pieces to make that width. The COA was made in 2 main pieces - the shield and the Bishop's miter. Jewels, stars and the Rose of Sharon petal were cut separately. The original petal in the graphic was a flat, smuggy thing. I got a better graphic from them with a nicely defined petal and had to use the awesome capabilities of Aspire to convert it. The
Coat of Arms Still in Rough.jpg
The picture of the COA by itself is in a very rough stage and doesn't have some parts on it, yet.
Coat of Arms on Podium.jpg
The picture with shield mounted on the podium shows it's place of honor. There are lots of things I would have done differently, given more time. Fortunately I've been told that they will be providing me with a very high quality graphic for a new COA to be done and that they will want the first one painted. I'll be using inlays for the stars and petal. The jewels will most likely be done as a part of the miter carving. I was glad that I got the extra time in the shop. The COA is held on the podium with command strips. I watched the press conference anticipating it would fall off the podium.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: We need it by......

Post by mtylerfl »

Wow! We need to call you “The Flash”!

Great job in such a tight time-frame!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Great job on that with the rush!!
Me...."You want it WHEN???" :lol: :lol: :lol:
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Wow! Great job.
I'm amazed, I can't even decide what bits to use that quick... :oops:

Thanks for sharing...
John
Maker of Chips

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Post by GeneMpls »

Sounds expensive?

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

Thanks to all for the comments. I actually got lucky and was able to spend an extra 1.5 days in the shop. I also pulled out some tools I hadn't used in a while. Since I had made it in 2 pieces (the Miter and the Shield) I had to attach those together. My first thought was putting it on a backer of plywood, but that would have added extra weight. I opted to pull out the bisquit jointer and it worked like a charm. I was going to use my scrollsaw to cut the outline of the miter but opted to use the bandsaw and then edge sanding with a couple of power sanders. Even though I didn't have time to do the level of finish sanding that I like to do I am thankful that the Varathane Poly Varnish did a great job of not running and puddling with the number of sprays I used and the stuff was ready for the touch when it got installed about 2 hours later. Bits I used included a 90 vbit for some edge chamfering, .125 end mill for pockets/holes and some cutouts, 60 vbit for the edge chamfering/profiling of the jewels, stars and Rose of Sharon petal and a 1/4 end mill for another cut out. I also realize that I need to change out my waste tabletop or at least do a leveling flycut on it. I was walking around the shop like a staggering drunk at times because it's so messy and junked up with wood, woodworking gear, fishing gear, kayaking gear, acrylic casting and stabilizing gear and a way too large workbench. And no actual drinking since I'm a non-drinking Irishman.