Bit slipped

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Bit slipped

Post by Xxray »

Ouch, 3 hours into the cut with a prime 12" square chunk of yellowheart.
You can see where it happened [using a 45 raster angle], looks like is slipped a good 1/8 or so. With the dust boot on though I didn't notice it until it got to the subjects hand, I could see the hand was flat with no detail so I stopped it there.

Am trying again as we speak with a chink of rosewood, I'll post back the results.
IMG_5154.jpg
Doug

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Bit slipped

Post by mtylerfl »

Frame it and title this art piece, "The Shy Guitarist"
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Not a bad idea Mike.
First I was going to scrap the whole thing [got a big wicker bag loaded with scrap, am going to burn it in 1 fell swoop as soon as I can get up to my camper]. Then I thought I'd bandsaw it off right on the angled cut, I can make quite a few actual guitar pick guards out of that piece, then I'd burn the rest.
Jocular though you may have been, you have changed my mind again - I will cut it off, use the stock for guitar parts, and hang the unknown guitarist part on my wall of shame.
Doug

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

:D Perfect, Doug!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Post by ozymax »

Am I missing something here?
Why couldn't you just reset the cutter, maybe a whisker lower and simply start the program again.
You said you were willing to start again in another piece of timber, so why waste that piece?

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

I think it's pretty cool, very mysterious. Something from the Twilight Zone. Don't toss it. Have fun with it. :)

Phil

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

ozymax wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:45 am
Am I missing something here?
Why couldn't you just reset the cutter, maybe a whisker lower and simply start the program again.
You said you were willing to start again in another piece of timber, so why waste that piece?
Thats true probably could have, with the depth of that slip would have taken a bit more than a whisker and it would have been close to busting through.
Doug

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Aah...That kinda explains that.
IF from bottom right corner though...even dropping Z-Zero .005" and running again after checking collet/bit for "banding/galling" SHOULD have given it to you just by a quick look, But then I'm not there like you Doug....I might have thrown the piece across the room:)
Looked like GREAT cut right up until the "flat" on the hands.

Am curious who the guitarist was? :) :)
Exasperating,
scott

Just mentioning for others...Collets ARE consumables,and if you use worn collets(signs are "banding"and slipping)...
spindle cones/spindles/spindle nuts become so also. :(
For me that's a $1900 mistake, as my spindle is considered a throwaway (HSD 1HP 110V), trained 3 operators, and asked each what the most expensive part was...NONE guessed spindle cone surface:(
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

scottp55 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:53 pm
Aah...That kinda explains that.
IF from bottom right corner though...even dropping Z-Zero .005" and running again after checking collet/bit for "banding/galling" SHOULD have given it to you just by a quick look, But then I'm not there like you Doug....I might have thrown the piece across the room:)
Looked like GREAT cut right up until the "flat" on the hands.

Am curious who the guitarist was? :) :)
Exasperating,
scott
Truth be told, simply did not cross my mind to try another cut.
Stock was originally 1.25 but I bandsawed .5 off of it, didn't need it anywhere near that thick. Then I drum sanded the blank to get it perfectly flat which brought it down to .65 or so, so I would have certainly been close to bottoming out if I tried a recut but it might have worked.
I thought it lost steps but then I noticed the bit was jacked up beyond where I would normally put it, and the chuck was indeed a bit lose, don't know how that happened.

Anyhow I already made a new one out of bolivian rosewood, only stock I had 12"wide, I'll post later once its finished.
Guitarist is Buckethead, a sensational player and quite an enigma - Never talks, never takes off his mask/bucket in public, and very little is known about him
Doug

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Kinda thought it was him :) :)
But nice to leave it to people's opinions as the "Phantom Guitarist" (Satriani/Buck Dharmha/etc......).
Nice choice of wood and bit until..... Doug :)
Rosewood will be a challenge to get better than Nature:)
Keep up the great work!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Here is the retry, as you can tell, had another slippage/lost steps, this one not nearly as drastic and was able to sand most of it out except the part which runs through the guitar, the knobs are so small I would have had to sand those out as well to get the error.

Wish I knew why it was doing that, but the 1st time the collet was a bit loose. Seems to only happen when I use an angled raster, if I do this model again it will be 0 angle for sure.
I used matte clear coat really do not like it looking so shiny, seems rosewood is shiny no matter what finish you use, probably do to oils in the wood itself. I'm going to see if I can improve a few details on this model.
IMG_5160.jpg

IMG_5163.jpg
Doug

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

It looks fantastic no matter what you say!

Regarding the Bit slippage...maybe the collet is wearing out?...or maybe a metric bit is a teeny bit too small for an Imperial collet?...or both?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

+1 on probably replacing collet, and would check collet nut race as well(?)
We were wearing out 1/8" collets every 5 months when we were doing buttons 50 hours a week.
Collet nuts about twice as long.

Dense oily woods look virtually finished after only one coat of oil here....but I do more anyways :)
Cocobola and Ebony look "Done" straight off machine:)
NICE cut Doug.....LIKE the "Brick"!! :)
scott
R.N.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Glad to report that I made a save on this one. Used the same tap file so it was just a matter of centering and setting Z a little lower.
Had some machining marks towards the top caused by less than optimal hold down, most of them sanded out with ease. Glad to keep this one off the wall of shame.
Set Z a nice 1/8 lower
Set Z a nice 1/8 lower
right off the machine
right off the machine
Matte clearcoat really makes the yellow pop
Matte clearcoat really makes the yellow pop
IMG_5229.jpg
Doug

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

I'd also take a close look at the collet nut. I ruined a beautiful piece of spalted pecan on a 3d project. I looked inside the nut and saw that it was way less than perfect even when comparing it to a nut on one of my routers. I ordered replacement nuts and collets from Precise Bits and haven't had any problems since.