Mayan Haab Calendar Clock Guitar

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Mayan Haab Calendar Clock Guitar

Post by CarveOne »

I saw a video on the C. B. Gitty website late December or early this year that had Mr. Glenn Watt playing an acoustic clock guitar.
It gave me the impetus to see what I could do with that idea for another of my weird guitar construction projects. I created the
calendar, numbers, and clock hands 3D models in my Vectric Ltd Aspire CAD software from a vector line drawing and cut it using
my CNC wood router machine using a 1/32" diameter tapered ball nose cutter. The Palenque Pyramid and text on the bottom of
the body is V carved with a 60 degree cutter on my CNC machine also. There are no sound holes, yet the guitar has a good
sound level and plenty of sustain without them. With a 25 watt amplifier it really sounds off. The two pickup disk wires are wired
in parallel, red to red and black to black. One at each end of the bridge under the top panel. The jewels are set in pockets just deep
enough that the tops are slightly high enough to feel them.

Bridge - Stepped pyramid shape made of granite Corian (tm) countertop material, so is the nut and end of the fretboard.
Tailpiece - Made of African mahogany in the shape of a Maya symbol.
Fret markers, Crystal AB jewels from the craft section at Walmart (0.19" diameter) Colors change with ambient lighting. Pretty.
Top panel - 1/4" thick Poplar wood with 3D carved Mayan calendar, Maya numbers, and hands 1/8" deep, leaving a 1/8" thickness
top panel elsewhere.
Body - Acacia wood salad bowl from Walmart.
Neck - Red oak, and padauk spacer layer, with African mahogany fretboard.
Tuning length - 25"
Tuners, fret wire, skull knob, dual piezo kit, and strings are from the C. B. Gitty website.

CarveOne
Attachments
20200404_153027.jpg
20200405_121047.jpg
20200404_153159.jpg
20200404_153107.jpg
20200404_153135.jpg
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Re: Mayan Haab Calendar Clock Guitar

Post by BillK »

Reminds me of what my brother always says “It’s 2 minutes to three someplace” lol. Great looking instrument, super project. Congratulations on the completion.
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

It's funny that you mention it Bill. I already had a conversation with a local friend that wants me to do something with two pine boards that will have a bottle opener at the top end and a small bucket for the bottle caps at the bottom end. He wanted to put something "Beachy themed" in the middle but couldn't think of anything. When I told him that I would modify the Mayan Calendar clock to put the hands at 5 o'clock and use the quote "It's always 5 o'clock somewhere" above it he almost fell over laughing. PERFECT!! was his reply.

I cut various size shapes in 1/2" MDF sheets like ellipses, small and large surfboards, state outlines, and circles for he and his wife to paint, epoxy coat, and sell locally. They are both artists, and he installs wood flooring and epoxy coated floors. They do some very pretty work.

CarveOne
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Another pretty one CarveOne :)
Liking the carve on the back, but never figure you for a "Skull" knob :) :)
Workmanship excellent as always!!
Congrats R! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Love the new guitar! You need to make a Shutterfly photo book of all your guitar variants!

For your “beachy” theme - Banjo Shark (not a guitar, but would be cool). Or, a Thornback Guitarfish.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

scottp55 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:26 pm
Another pretty one CarveOne :)
Liking the carve on the back, but never figure you for a "Skull" knob :) :)
Workmanship excellent as always!!
Congrats R! :)
scott
Thanks Scott. That is in respect to the dead Mayan civilization. They come in a 2-pack and I used one on the Aztec/Mayan guitar last year also. I have plans to do a Star Wars theme guitar eventually and will see if I can get a friend to make a Yoda 3D printed knob for it if I can't find one online. :lol:

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

mtylerfl wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:43 pm
Love the new guitar! You need to make a Shutterfly photo book of all your guitar variants!

For your “beachy” theme - Banjo Shark (not a guitar, but would be cool). Or, a Thornback Guitarfish.
My friend also does a lot of Rat Fink style designs using decals that he gets online and a fairly simple one is shown below. Some of his 72" surfboard designs are very wild. He sells a lot of this stuff locally. I'll look up your suggestions and see if they are anything he might like though.

CarveOne
Attachments
20191028_175426_resized.jpg
CarveOne

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I loved assembling and painting various Big Daddy Roth’s Rat Fink plastic car models in the ‘60’s! Fun stuff!

Lots of design opportunities for “beachy” guitars. Mermaids, scallop shells, starfish, crabs, sea turtle, gold doubloon from shipwreck, etc. Endless possibilities!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Great design and project
Thank You
Doug