Brass stamp

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ULS M300, Rockler 60th Ann. Shark

Brass stamp

Post by nicksilva »

hello. It’s been a while since I’ve done any work on the HAAS vertical mill. This is an embossing stamp in solid brass. The test subject was a 2D biohazard sign. The back has been cut to accept both handles from the evil empire. The extra weight/bulk of the brass should make for a good impression. And because it is brass it can be heated with a torch to use as a branding iron.
The point of this exercise was to zero in on the speeds/feeds that will work best so I can make them faster (see the softjaws for making 3 at a time). Spacing is difficult at this scale. I’m hoping to get good enough to do some medallion work in 3D. Raised lettering is especially difficult. Most of this was done with a 1/16" end mill. I tried a 1mm but sadly it did not survive.
The toolpathing was created in Aspire but since this is all 2D work could easily have been done in VCarve.
IMG_2623.jpg
IMG_2626.jpg
IMG_2627.jpg
IMG_2628.jpg
"Out of my mind. Back in 5 Minutes."

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Brass stamp

Post by mtylerfl »

Very nice stamp!

What feed/speed/pass depth did you conclude were “best” for your bits and machine?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

Nice. I wanted to make a stamp out of O1 but never got around to it. Brass might be a good option for some of my needs. Thanks.
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ULS M300, Rockler 60th Ann. Shark

Post by nicksilva »

mtylerfl wrote: What feed/speed/pass depth did you conclude were “best” for your bits and machine?
For the 1/16" endmill I pretty much settled on 20-25 ipm and 2ipm plunge. Speed is 3000 rpm using zero oil with a depth of cut of 0.05". Going faster means it will gum up and perhaps need oil/mister.
"Out of my mind. Back in 5 Minutes."

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

VERY nice Nick! :)
Love the idea of multi handles for either striking or pressing!!
(May "borrow" that idea for a 360Free Brass stamp/burn logo for stamping or burning")
Well done!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.