a simple bowl with a mapped model

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Len-Tikular
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home made revision 3

a simple bowl with a mapped model

Post by Len-Tikular »

I'm trying to map a model of a dogs head ont a bowl.
It's been a long time since I have used my Aspire but I want to get back in to it.
My simple bowl is created using a circle and creating a model from a selected vector i.e the circle.
When I look at my final image after roughing and smoothing the bowl is recessed below the level of my workpiece.
Where am I going wrong.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: a simple bowl with a mapped model

Post by mtylerfl »

Check your Material Setup to make sure you have the layout of your dish set to the top surface of the material (or a just teeny smidge below the top).

There is a great video tutorial that should help you. It’s the Dish tutorial with a Horse head model within it. That should cover any other questions you may have (Zero Plane, Multiply settings, etc.)

Here is the link:

https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... ideo_id=64
Last edited by mtylerfl on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

There is a great video tutorial that should help you. It’s the Dish tutorial with a Horse head model within it.

Ditto on that. Just watched this lastnight as a refresher for a project I am about to start. Take your time and watch the video through a couple of times. Pay particular attention the the multiplier level and its placement in the component tree. Have fun really is a well done tutorial. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Len-Tikular
Vectric Wizard

Post by Len-Tikular »

Thanks all, I had my material setup, set incorrectly. It was 6mm below the surface of the material.

Interestingly enough I do not have zero plane insert in Aspire 4.5

Thanks

George

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

I can’t recall if 4.5 had an icon or menu item to click that made an “automatic” Zero Plane. But, if not, you can easily make one yourself with the Create Component Tool (just make a plane with zero thickness).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Len-Tikular
Vectric Wizard

Post by Len-Tikular »

I'm having an issue with the head of my dog in the bowl, I dont want the square border around the dogs head,
Is there a fix , can anyone help please.
Attachments
Dishdog.crv3d
(2.38 MiB) Downloaded 167 times

Len-Tikular
Vectric Wizard

Post by Len-Tikular »

Here's a picture of what I ended up with, it's not perfect, as I say it's the result of a picture on a square background. It wouldn't be so bad if the background was round
Attachments
dogmapped.jpg
Len-Tikular (A glider pilots dream cloud)

Aspire 10.5
Mach4 Hobby
Ess Smoothstepper + C11g+C10s

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

That's a good candidate for creating the outlines as vectors (for v-carving with Project toolpath onto 3D model) instead of using the low-quality JPG photo.

If you must use the photo, you could color fill (any color) the background in a photo editor, then make that color transparent when saving as a PNG. That way, the background "square" won't show up when you import the image.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

mebell
Model of CNC Machine: CNC-Shark

Post by mebell »

Len you created a model from the bitmap of the dog and that included the background so it is a square model. I would have imported the bitmap then fit vectors to v-carve.

I also note that you have toolpaths that overlap the project area and that you don't have any vectors to match those toolpaths. Did you accidentally delete the vectors for these toolpaths or have you changed the direction of this project and just want a bowl?

I started to make a file so you could see what I was talking about but you are using V4.5 and would not be able to open the file.

Fit vectors to your dog model or import the bitmap and fit to it
Create the dish model
Run roughing toolpath
Run finish toolpath
Run v-carve toolpath using the dog vectors you created and projecting the toolpath onto the 3d model.
Then you will need a vector for the outside of the bowl so you can create a toolpath to cut it out.

If you wanted the crosshatched paddle shape to be the project out line then you need to reload the vectors and resize your project to around 600mm wide.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
dog bowl.jpg

Len-Tikular
Vectric Wizard

Post by Len-Tikular »

Sorry Mebel, I saved my dog as a bitmap and imported it in to Aspire, now then how do we create the vectors from the bitmap image ?

Aspire 10.5
Mach4 Hobby

Len-Tikular
Vectric Wizard

Post by Len-Tikular »

Len-Tikular wrote:Sorry Mebel, I saved my dog as a bitmap and imported it in to Aspire, now then how do we create the vectors from the bitmap image ?
Ok, I managed to create the vectors and then projected a vcarve onto the bowl, seems ok for now it worked! Quality not as good as yours though.
dogmapped1.jpg
The finished breadboard is shown here, it's not perfect but it's OK, thanks for the help everyone.
dogmapped1.jpg
Attachments
AMBER.jpg

Aspire 10.5
Mach4 Hobby

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Are you using any sort of photo editing software for your dog image? If you are then you can make the background transparent BUT when you export the image you need to export it in a file format that supports transparencies such as BMP, Tiff or PNG. If you don't then you wil end up with a white background when you import it into another program such as Aspire :lol: :lol:

Len-Tikular
Vectric Wizard

Post by Len-Tikular »

martin54 wrote:Are you using any sort of photo editing software for your dog image? If you are then you can make the background transparent BUT when you export the image you need to export it in a file format that supports transparencies such as BMP, Tiff or PNG. If you don't then you wil end up with a white background when you import it into another program such as Aspire :lol: :lol:
Hello Martin, It's a long time since we exchanged. You might recall me from Oldham but I have since retired and move to a lovely village called Denholm, situated on the A68 just before Hawick.

It's good to hear from you.

indeed I'm using Corel Paint Shop Pro 2018 but very infrequently!!! So I'm struggling to make the background transparent but thanks for the help anyway. I'll find out soon.

Kind regards

George

Aspire 10.5
Mach4 Hobby

mebell
Model of CNC Machine: CNC-Shark

Post by mebell »

Len not having the picture I created the vectors using the 2D view of the dog model you had in the file. One other thing you can do to get more detail in your vcarve would be to add a small start depth to your vcarve toolpath(0.01~0.03).

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I do remember but you have a user name that is difficult to forget, especially as I was a signmaker :lol: :lol:

Never used corel so can't help with how it is done but found a tutorial that should help you :lol:

https://learn.corel.com/tutorials/creat ... ckgrounds/