Flag Humidor

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
dglasco
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Platform CNC

Flag Humidor

Post by dglasco »

Made this for my son who is in Afghanistan supporting the troops

The top and sides are cherry, maple and walnut. the inside is lined with Spanish cedar.
Attachments
Hunidor4.jpg
Hunidor9.jpg
Hunidor2.jpg
Hunidor11.jpg
Hunidor8.jpg
Hunidor6.jpg

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Re: Flag Humidor

Post by Mike-S »

That's beautiful.
Could you explain your corner joints?

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Great job! I too am fascinated by the construction if you wouldn't mind sharing a bit more info...

Mike

nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ULS M300, Rockler 60th Ann. Shark

Post by nicksilva »

superb job!
"Out of my mind. Back in 5 Minutes."

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

That IS a beautiful piece, and sure to be admired!
Question on the inlay on a "wavy" surface....did you find it tricky, or have any tips for people who want to try it?
Thanks for the pics!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

Now, that is a nice and unusual piece...joe

dglasco
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Platform CNC

Post by dglasco »

Thanks all for the great feed back.

I will attempt to go into a little more detail how I made the humidor.

First step was to find some cherry boards long and wide enough that I could use the grain pattern of the wood to wrap around the ends.

Next step was designing the project in Aspire because I knew I would be making inlays for an American flag. I designed it with indexing dowel holes so it could be turned over and I could machine the backside dado. After I laid out the top on the CNC I milled out the outside profiles of the pieces and then I used 1/2" maple strips for the flag strip inlays. After that I pocketed the stars background and inlayed it with walnut. The reason I milled the outside profiles of the pieces first is that I wanted to verify the exact width of what the stripes needed to be, before pocketing.

After inlaying the background & stripes I was able to model a simple wave using the two rail sweep and then milled the center piece with a wave. My plan was coming together or so I thought; I knew I wanted to make a humidor for my son, but there is a problem with a solid wood box and having a lot of humidity trapped inside it. All the research I did suggested it is best to make humidors out of plywood and put wood veneers on the outside and line with a Spanish cedar or similar type wood on the inside.

Since I already knew what the outside dimensions for my humidor, I built a simple box using 3/8" birch plywood minus approximately 1/8" on each side to give me room for my veneer exterior. Next I cut out all pieced and collected the sides. Using my band saw I sawed 3/16" strips from each of the sides. Then using a zero point v-groove router bit I very carefully mitered 45's on the ends and the top to match up. (https://www.toolstoday.com/images/produ ... 6454_2.jpg). After several dry fits I glued the ends and the top first and the next day I glued the sides in place. I then sanded the top and sides being careful near the top corners not to sand to much.

Next step was to use my band saw to cut the lid off the box. This left rough saw mark, so I used a couple full sheets of 150 grit taped to a flat surface (using two-sided tape) and flat sanded the edges smooth.

I would say the hard part was over, but I don't have much experience much experience installing the hinges and lock I used. It took me a couple of tries on some crap pieces before I enough nerve to try and install the hardware on the actual box.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

That is a unique and beautiful piece. Super job.

Angie

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Great Job. I like the flag.
Thank You
Doug

kp91
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Wood Carver