Paradise Boxes

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Re: Paradise Boxes

Post by CarveOne »

mikeacg wrote:Ouch Martin! I'm so old that when I started doing CNC the Mayan calendar was a rite of passage! I'll have to get busy so you don't have me thrown out of the club!

Mike :lol:
The right of passage for a new CNC machine's accuracy is to make a pair of these just for grins (or groans) using some material that is a really fine grain wood or a plastic like Corian. I haven't done so yet but have had this file ready to cut for the past 3 years. When I get brave enough. :wink:

CarveOne
Attachments
Aztec 1911A Compact Grips - Frontside.jpg
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

CarveOne wrote:
mikeacg wrote:Ouch Martin! I'm so old that when I started doing CNC the Mayan calendar was a rite of passage! I'll have to get busy so you don't have me thrown out of the club!

The right of passage for a new CNC machine's accuracy is to make a pair of these just for grins (or groans) using some material that is a really fine grain wood or a plastic like Corian. I haven't done so yet but have had this file ready to cut for the past 3 years. When I get brave enough. :wink:

CarveOne
If you really want to test your machine you should be cutting those in Aluminium :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

mtylerfl wrote:I believe Mark Johnson is selling his custom versions for around $150 each.
Meant to type "Johnston"! (sorry Mark)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

CarveOne wrote:
mtylerfl wrote:I believe Mark Johnson is selling his custom versions for around $150 each.
One of mine went for $250, but it was his second offer. I finished that one in four days flat ... :D

$100 to $150 for the very few other ones I got paid for, and even that equates to about $1 an hour for labor.

CarveOne
First of all I have said it before and will say it again that the paradise box is the project that I have made so many of and is my favorite monthly project. I always recommend that new people make a couple, it's a great learning experience.

After following Michaels design for the first couple I started making what I call theme boxes out of them. I customize the boxes usually with 3D models on the outside of the box and custom Vcarving on the inside of the lid. The time it has taken is considerable depending on the research finding a 3D model that's suitable. I've spent months on and off, of course, designing some of the boxes. My main purpose has been to make a one of a kind gift for someone and 90 percent of what I've made has been gifted. I've even gone to special hinges that are very expensive to make the box even more special. Most of these boxes I couldn't even begin to tell what the total cost would be to produce. Even though it doesn't take a great deal of wood it can be pricey if you use something special like Mesquite wood.

I did as Michael said in the beginning quite a while ago sell some boxes at a local art gallery ranging in price from $150 to $500. I haven't done that for a while.

Some of the really special boxes I have given to my wife's real estate customers. Some of those customers have let her sell their house and buy another house. So even though I don't sell my boxes directly for money it's been a great closing gift so her really good customers remember who to recommend to their friends who are looking for a real estate agent. I even put her name an phone number on the bottom of the box for quick reference.

I have probably made a few dozen boxes in the last few years and continue to enjoy doing them.

Mark

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

martin54 wrote:
CarveOne wrote:

CarveOne
If you really want to test your machine you should be cutting those in Aluminium :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I did cut one in aluminum but the cutter did not have a near zero width sharp tip. It was obvious as to what it was but had poor details with the cutter I used. I might try it again when I get a new Whiteside #1540 60 degree V cutter.

Ok, back to beautiful P Boxes ...

CarveOne
CarveOne

Dank
Model of CNC Machine: Home brew gantry and two Taig CNC mills

Post by Dank »

Thanks Mike for the tray link. I was unaware of this design. A tray has already been mentioned by my wife and this looks completely satisfactory. In fact it looks like it is a no-brainer to stack a couple in the box if desired. ~ Dan
Dan'l

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Another tray idea was one that Leo posted, actually with the number of paradise boxes that have been made over the years if you try searching you may well find a few other ideas for trays & other accessories :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... ay#p169040

Dank

Post by Dank »

I did a quick search. The basic box is providing good "bones" for a lot of nice variations. That's what this forum is all about. The sliding tray is nice too.
I'm going to pick up some oak and knock out a couple of the full tray. That design can easily be modified for various pocket arrangements.
I can easily make my own knobs too on a lathe.
So much wonderful variations... :)
Dan'l

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

A look through the gallery for Aspire & Vcarve will show a lot of different designs have been put on the box, funny enough I have never actually carved the original design from the tutorial kindly supplied by Vectric/Michael.

I have done them with different vcarved designs but most of those I have done have had dished 3d models on either the sides the front or both :lol: :lol:
Have also done them in different sizes although as I said earlier they still seem to take just as much time to complete :lol: Have done a few as keepsake boxes for new born babies but not done one as a sewing box & still haven't got round to doing one with a tray even though I have had the file for some time now.

I would have to agree with Mark, it is a good project for those people who are relatively new to cnc, it's also one of my favourite Vectric projects to date although it has been a while since I made one now, the Inlay Coral Vase has captured my attention just now although once again I still haven't made one with the same design as the tutorial :lol: :lol:

Dank

Post by Dank »

I added two trays to each box. The file was linked in a post above. I think one would be sufficient as two (in my application) can only be closed within the box if they are not filled over their top edge. That will be the owners choice. One tray can always be left out.
DSC07150.jpg
DSC07151.jpg
Dan'l

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Dan,

I scanned over your extensive website. Quite a little creative worker you are. You have a lot to offer. I like the stuff you do.

Thanks for posting here, your work is truly astounding.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Nice looking trays Dan. :)

Something to consider - Cut a 3/16" dowel to 1/4" long sections for making eight "feet". Glue them at the corners of the two trays on the underside. Then with the corner wedges shortened by 1/2" in height the trays can stack with a 1/4" gap between them and it doesn't matter which tray goes on top. This gives more clearance between the trays.

The feet can be 1/8" or 3/16" in length if you want less gap between trays. Adjust the corner wedges in height according to which gap height you prefer. The feet can also be wedges instead of a dowel.

You could also cut the same tray pocket design into the bottom panel of the Paradise Box. I did something similar to this in an elliptical box that I made. Leave about a 1/8" of wood in the bottom of the pockets. This would give the effect of a third tray in one box.

CarveOne
CarveOne

Dank

Post by Dank »

Lots of good ideas and options. Once the two ladies show these boxes off at their quilting retreat next week, I might get orders for more. I just made $200 for one of these boxes.

The ladies want as much space under the tray as possible for quilting supplies. A "fat quarter" and other such quilting terms were mentioned. :) I think they will be used with just one tray with the other left at the home working area.

I actually considered using some oak dowel hole plugs as additional spacers or "feet" as suggested by "CarveOne". They have a nice rounded heads, but I decided to maximize the bottom space and still let two trays be inserted at the top. You pays your money and takes your choices. Maybe feet on the next ones...

I'll know in less than a week if I have to make more... :wink:
Dan'l

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

It's pretty easy to change the overall size of the box but keep the same sort of shape, if you find that the box isn't quite tall enough as is then just make it a bit taller :lol: :lol:

It's also easy enough to change the design on the box so may be worth you looking at developing 2 or 3 different sizes & 2 or 3 different designs for people to pick from so they have a bit more choice, don't offer them to many different options though as this just makes people indecisive :lol: :lol:

Dank

Post by Dank »

I learned a long time ago to be cautious with two many buyer/owner options getting a project started. It is far easier for me to decide a design on a speculative build and say, "this is the way I made it", than to have a list of which-way options before ever getting started. There is then no customer remorse of making a poor choice. Of course I am always open to suggestions on a custom next build. I listen to my feedback. This forum is a good breeding ground for great "could'a-done" options. I appreciate that. :) I made a lot of private decisions like one or two trays and center knob or not in the trays but these first (two) builds are pretty much stock.

I also make a small amount of lost wax cast silver jewellery under the name KautzCraft Studio and these boxes are of course, useful for jewellery. It's a bit difficult to run both crafts at the same time in the same shop but I am in no great hurry. I posted a tickler in that website that I may be making more boxes.
Dan'l