Signature Dogs sign

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Signature Dogs sign

Post by CarveOne »

Another project completed today.

A local hot dog shop owner asked me to make a sign for inside his business recently. I took a cell phone photo of his menu sign and imported it into Aspire to have it create the vector outlines for the text and hot dog. It needed no significant tweaking of nodes or deletion of any nodes. I created the wicker weave background for a picnic basket effect.

A 1/16" tip diameter tapered ball nose cutter at 10% step over and 150 ipm was used for the whole 3D weave area. The text and hot dog are separate models using merge. Java gel stain painted into the weave and wiped off with paper towel and paint thinner leaves the recesses dark brown. It is hand painted with Java stail around the slopes of the text. The text is hand painted red on the top surface. The bun is too light a shade of tan but it was all I could find locally. Flat brown spray was carefully passed by the bun to partially darken the bun. I'm no professional sign artiste but it works ok for me. It will be delivered tomorrow.

CarveOne
Attachments
20160822_175653.jpg
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

galerdude
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's 4x4 Hybrid R&P Evolution

Re: Signature Dogs sign

Post by galerdude »

Wow! 8)
Regards,
Gale

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

That turned out great!
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

BernieNUFC
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: High Z 720

Post by BernieNUFC »

Thats really something, what is java gel stain?
VCarve Pro v9.012
High-Zs 720- Kress 1050 router ( CNC-Step DE version)

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Excellent. Please make mine with mustard and relish.

Angie

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Java is a dark roast coffee brown color gel stain made by General Finishes. I get it at Woodcraft or Klingspor Woodworking shop stores in Raleigh, NC. It is oil based, so it can be cleaned off with a folded paper towel with a small amount of paint thinner in it - if it has been applied over three or four base coats of polyurethane that is fully cured. The weave has it in all of the lowest areas and none left on top of the weave. There is some technique to using it, but I use it a lot. I apply one sealer coat of polyurethane sprayed over the gel stain after the gel stain has dried.

Angie - The sign's hot dog has mustard, relish, and onions painted on it. It's too late to change your order my friend ... :)

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

The sign was delivered this afternoon.

The owner had seen the Aspire simulation, but he was surprised with the completed version. Very happy with the sign. My wife and I ate an early dinner free of charge after all. :wink:

CarveOne
CarveOne

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

That sign is really nice! No wonder you got to eat for free (I think you should eat there for free for at least a year - veggie dogs, of course though).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Veggie Dogs? My pot belly says it can't digest those ... :(

He also saw the latest salad bowl guitar and had the same kind of reaction to it. He can't believe someone from around his little town can make stuff like these. His hot dog shop is a small hole-in-the-wall business that started last year and is doing fairly well so far. I decided to see what I could do to help improve the decor a little. I only charged him the out of pocket cost of the materials (this time).

CarveOne
CarveOne

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

You could make some v-carve Hot Dog Key Rings, display near the register and sell them to his customers as "impulse items". Free "hot dog publicity" for him and a little dough for you!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Looks good but then all your work I have seen on the forum does :lol: :lol:

I bet the owner was very happy with the sign, especially the price :lol:

I only charged him the out of pocket cost of the materials (this time).

I know this isn't a business for you but think about some of your other expenses as well as the material costs on this job, bits wear & have to be replaced, software upgrades, machine maintenance etc etc, even if you charged just a little to help with these things the customer would still have got a complete bargain.

I run a business, only part time but still a business so maybe it's a bit different, I have found over the years that if you do a job cheaply for a customer then they expect every other job you do for them to be cheap as well, plus they tell all their mates who also want everything done really cheaply as well :lol: :lol:

Anyway as I said at the start, great work as usual :lol: :lol: :lol:

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

You are entirely correct Martin.

There is still a lot of uncharged for expenses and they do expect to get the same treatment later. This is a retirement hobby for me, and I like to see my friends happy - not the tax department accountants. It does massage the ego quite a bit to be able to do this kind of stuff and show it off. Most of my early cnc learning projects have been given away. ~75% of my projects were given to family and friends as gifts. Leaving a memory as it were. At 71 yo, I don't want to run a business or have too many expectations put on me when I don't have an interest in working for a while. I get a big kick in attending McGrews Aspire Camp each year and it grows harder each time to make one more trip.

CarveOne
CarveOne