SOA 3d

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: SOA 3d

Post by Xxray »

Another one out of padauk, one of the largest I have done [17x12"], probably about as close to a table that I will ever get. Not perfect, at least 4 noticeable flaws - Took about 6 hrs finish used a 1/32 tbn, very thick so I used a roughing pass as well. Padauk dust tends to be pretty nasty, trashes everything it comes in contact with especially sandpaper but the end result is very nice
IMG_5333.jpg
IMG_5340.jpg
Doug

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

Nice!!
Bob

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Purpleheart, large [for me] at 16x12", probably as close to a table top as I will ever get [actually ,my machine is capable of doing one twice this size, would take some nerve, alot of time and a large chunk of wood].

Came out nice, lettering is a little weak. Its a fine line between going too deep and ruining the letters or not deep enough and you barely have a scratch. Tried to go between those extremes, could always color them with a sharpie if you wanted them to stand out more ,,, But I tend not to like coloring to my designs. Lettering on 3d is not one of my strong points, I'm sure many guys here could do much better.

For finish I used 2 coats of matte clear then some beeswax polishing oil.
IMG_5940.jpg
IMG_5943.jpg
Doug

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Liking it Doug....But More impressed by your wall and all your carvings!! :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

I agree with Scott the carving and your wall. Is it your 401k plan?

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Savannahdan wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:52 pm
I agree with Scott the carving and your wall. Is it your 401k plan?
No, its my keep my kids/grandkids busy selling my things on ebay when I kick the bucket plan
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

More of my wall, many have been there for years and likely going nowhere no time soon, many I do repeats of and some are one-offs - One of my very few inlays upper right
IMG_5961.jpg
Doug

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Time to clean them up and call some Gallerys Doug :)
In my "Inspiration" folder now :D
WOW is a good word!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Inlay is upper left BTW, not right.
That seemed to be an era when I caught on how to impose one model on to another so I went on a bender and did quite a few of them in a short span.
Purpleheart has been hanging near a full decade, still nice and purple, some guys report it fades to brown in time.
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Xxray wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:21 am
Purpleheart, large [for me] at 16x12", probably as close to a table top as I will ever get [actually ,my machine is capable of doing one twice this size, would take some nerve, alot of time and a large chunk of wood].

Came out nice, lettering is a little weak. Its a fine line between going too deep and ruining the letters or not deep enough and you barely have a scratch. Tried to go between those extremes, could always color them with a sharpie if you wanted them to stand out more ,,, But I tend not to like coloring to my designs. Lettering on 3d is not one of my strong points, I'm sure many guys here could do much better.

For finish I used 2 coats of matte clear then some beeswax polishing oil.

IMG_5940.jpg

IMG_5943.jpg
Just curious, if you made this with sale in mind, what would be the least you take ?

Pricing is always a difficult and subjective question with CNC ,,, I have in fact sold it and was curious how many think I'm nuts for selling so cheap, or on the other hand, how did I manage to get that much for a decorative chunk of wood.
Doug