Diamond Drag bit on Steel

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ULS M300, Rockler 60th Ann. Shark

Diamond Drag bit on Steel

Post by nicksilva »

I just got in my diamond drag bit from Widgetworks and wanted to try it out on on of the lighters I use.
I had a damaged one laying around so used it to try out this rosette pattern. It is pretty tight with each new vector 0.005" from the previous one.
The result was pretty nice. Depth was set at 0.002" using the quick engrave feature in Aspire.
I've included the toolpath preview because I just could not get a good picture of the lighter with all the refection of the metal.

This is going to be a lot of fun. I've been using the laser to do metal marking on the lighters but wanted to move into actually engraving them.
photo.JPG
Ros.jpg
"Out of my mind. Back in 5 Minutes."

pops1964
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot buddy bt 32

Re: Diamond Drag bit on Steel

Post by pops1964 »

Nice job , glad to see another use for drag bit. was that a stainless lighter , or just brushed steel . pop's
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32

nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman

Post by nicksilva »

It's just brushed steel. I have something that I think is brass over steel which I want to try.
My only concern is if I use a pattern that encompasses the top and bottom which it cause any harm
when it hits the 'bump' where the lighter opens? I'll have to try it sooner or later but for now I just need a little
practice and to develop some patterns. Cheers!

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Should glide over the gap without a problem, might want to make sure spring pressure is minimal to be on the safe side.
I've went off the edge of plexiglass projects and it recovered from that, so lid gap shouldn't be a problem.
Doug

nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman

Post by nicksilva »

Thanks Xxray,
Just erring on the side of caution, but I did figure it should be able to handle it. I've only got it set for 0.002" depth so it's not a lot of pressure.
Hopefully, I'll have some results soon. Cheers!

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Software set depth and spring pressure are 2 different things. High spring pressure will make it resist retracting more when it encounters pits/gaps vs light pressure, thus you have to be careful with pressure when engraving on uneven surfaces.
[there is or at least should be a screw to set spring pressure in case you didn't know]. I do mostly plexiglass which of course is almost always an even/ flat surface and doesn't take much to leave a mark so I pretty much set it medium or so and leave it there. For metal with a potential gap I would think you'd need to find a pressure sweet spot for optimal results.
Doug

nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman

Post by nicksilva »

I didn't know that. I though that screw was just for changing the spring or replacing the tip.
It did come with 2 springs which I assume were heavy and medium. I'll have to check the website again,
because no info about it came with the bit. thanks again.
-nick

SawdustandSmoke
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: home made

Post by SawdustandSmoke »

Looks impressive, I purchased a ww bit a few years ago and was disappointed with how fast the tip was used up, however I was using it with glass. If I remember right you can purchase replacement bits off ebay quite a lot cheaper on ebay, the only thing missing is the keeper at the top.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Not sure about ww I use a different model, but the screw should be to increase or decrease mechanical spring pressure, at least it is on mine - If I remember correctly, yours can be adjusted on the fly, mine has got to be out of the collet to adjust.
In practice you won't need to fiddle with it much, seems to me with metal you'd want more pressure, but with the crack involved maybe not.
Doug