Home made glass tangent cutter

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
SawdustandSmoke
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: home made

Home made glass tangent cutter

Post by SawdustandSmoke »

The forum's have been looking a bit slow so I thought I would post a tangent cutter I have been working on.
BILD0262.JPG
BILD0261.JPG
BILD0264.JPG
One of the things I wanted was to be able to change from spindle to tangent without much fuss, the spindle clamps and a 4 pin trailer plug work well for this. I was worried about weight, especialy since I am using a 5 start screw

On my z axis however that turned out not to be a problem. It is difficult to see but there are two tall slots in the back of the bracket the wood inide the slots have not been milled away like the rest of it and the sides flush with a copper bolt near the top and bottom this keeps it linear and gives around a 1/10 an inch Z travel.

The main components are a nema bracket and glass cutter tip and some 1/4 scale toy car shocks off ebay. The shocks work really well as they are actual working gas filled shock and they come with about a dozen ways to adjust spring tension.

The only other piece was a shaft coupler from robotshop . com that could go from the shaft size to the hole size of the cutter head.

The setup with mach 3 was surprisingly easy, There was nothing that needed done with aspire I simply send out a profile on with my vectors and it completes it.

I am still having some trouble with the scoring business but I believe I may be using to much pressure I know the edges are much rougher than the hand scored pieces I have

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Re: Home made glass tangent cutter

Post by mezalick »

Interesting looking attachment.
One note,you may have better success with the cutting if you can cut in 4 arcs as in the picture.
Michael
Attachments
circle cut.JPG
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

SawdustandSmoke
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: home made

Re: Home made glass tangent cutter

Post by SawdustandSmoke »

I will give that a try, looks like it will work better than what I have been doing. I have been jogging around trying different pressures, It seams I was much to forceful with it, a light touch is much better