3d Embossing plate for leather

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ULS M300, Rockler 60th Ann. Shark

3d Embossing plate for leather

Post by nicksilva »

Hello. This is a 3x4" embossing wallet back plate cut into delrin. This is engraved with a negative height and you have to remember to flip the image. This is 'printed' directly out of Aspire. Positioning it is the only issue for that.
So much fun and only so many time to play.
Attachments
photo.JPG
Angel and Demon skulls
Angel and Demon skulls
"Out of my mind. Back in 5 Minutes."

ted clements
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 4x8

Re: 3d Embossing plate for leather

Post by ted clements »

I would like to do something like that, tell me more on how you did it

nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman

Post by nicksilva »

hello. It's not difficult. create a simple 3d model and print to your lasers print driver. really its that simple. There are no tool paths.
Aspire is going to send out the same greyscale file it uses as if you saved to greyscale or printed to your printer. in this case it assignes darker colors to deeper cuts and lighter colors to those closest to the surface. If you save the file and really blow it up in a drawing program you'll see the differnt gradiations of color.
Most laser drivers have a '3d' mode which lets you configure and tune 16 gray scale colors to a particular power level.
white is usually 0 and black is 100 power. the other 14 levels is dealers choice. that's also the hard part deciding what power to assign to a grey scale color. It's trial and error but once you find your calibration spot it's set. Oh, and 3d greyscale calibration is also the WORST documented item in most laser manuals.
In this case since it is a stamp you also have to think in negative because right will be left when you flip the stamp over to emboss.

Let me just add that since the laser does not move in the z-axis it is creating depth thru varying the power. So since it is a rapid transition from one power level to the next it is technically not as smooth as cutting it on the CNC. Luckily, the transitions are very close together, so it is a pretty good approximation of smooth.

-------------------------------------
EDIT: I plan to get a cnc machine at years end. I should be able to use the same models to carve out these plates with no change other than have to create toolpaths.

ted clements
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 4x8

Post by ted clements »

I have a shopbot cnc router 4x8

So you just hammer the leather?

nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman

Post by nicksilva »

sorry, no there is too much mass (3x4") to hammer it (and not have it move or get a double impression). I have a 12 ton shop press for embossing big stuff, but in this case I just used a 1 ton arbor press. It has a 1x1" ram so I just pressed one spot moved over pressed again, and rinse and repeat.
Anything over 1.5" square is rarely successful as a hammer stamp. In that case, I have a pipe with a flat cap that I use double face tape to attach the small plate and can hammer it.