Arrrgh matey's

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Impact Image
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster

Arrrgh matey's

Post by Impact Image »

Hey strangers. Long time no post...been busy.

Had a seafood restaurant owner looking for a neon entry sign and I convinced him to try an edge-lit. Their theme is kind of sort of "island/treasure mappy". He said to come up with something cool as long as it got folks to the right door. He gave me complete freedom to do what I wanted. I love when customers do this even if the reveals are a little worrisome.

Frame is a who-knows-how-old piece of worm wood a friend found washed up on the beach. Planed it down and burned it/stained it to give it some personality. I wanted it to look like a piece that could've fallen off a battle worn pirate ship. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. The customer was amazed and is looking to have me replace a lot of his interior signs.
Attachments
entrance2.JPG
Last edited by Impact Image on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Re: Arrrgh matey's

Post by zeeway »

That is a seriously cool design. I would expect to see many others "borrowing" your idea.

Angie

cnc4me
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: XYZ Gantry, PMDX motion, Mach3

Post by cnc4me »

Very cool sign ! Did you shape the edge lights yourself or did you custom order it? May I ask where you bought the edge lights?

Thanks for posting!

Andy

Impact Image

Post by Impact Image »

cnc4me wrote:Very cool sign ! Did you shape the edge lights yourself or did you custom order it? May I ask where you bought the edge lights?

Thanks for posting!

Andy
The only light is a straight strip of red LED's (ordered online) along the top edge. The only thing that shows up is the engraving.

I did back this one with this one with black vinyl to send all the light forward. Here's a look at the back.
Attachments
entrance3.JPG

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Post by GeneMpls »

Love to see more pictures of how this was done. Thanks Gene

Impact Image

Post by Impact Image »

I wish I'd taken more pics. I was under the gun to get it done and didn't take any.

From memory...I started by milling both sides flat. I simply screwed the rough cut to a piece of ply (so I could predict where screw holes would be, and be cut out in the end). I didn't program anything but drove the machine manually.

I started on the letter side. The cuts were .5" offsets so the lit letters would "hang" in them. I pocketed the letters using a .25" end mill. I flipped it over using the very precise "Sharpie outline on spoilboard registration" method. I knew I was going to cut the pocket on the back a little over-sized so this wasn't critical.

I then pocketed the back down far enough to get to the letters and was careful to keep the floating parts of the A,R, etc. Those were epoxied on later.

The acrylic was a simple rectangle with the original characters v-carved in .0625". The LED's have a sticky back that I bolstered with the silicone you see in the second pic. Screw it together and get some power to it and ...voila.

I like framing the edge-lits as opposed to plugging them into a base. I can't remember if I ever posted this over here but it's a sign I made for some close friends. They lost their teenage daughter Kirsten a year and a half ago. Fast forward and they remodeled their home to include a small bar. I christened it the K-Club and gave them this to hang over it.

Again, a simple rabbeted frame offset to allow for the LEDS. You can see the assembly in the second pic.
Attachments
kclub.JPG
sign back.jpeg

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Post by GeneMpls »

Very nice- on the K club sign the white is engraved... vinyl ? Thanks Gene

Impact Image

Post by Impact Image »

The "white" is etched with a diamond engraving bit.

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

Cool signs! Would you care to share your source for the LED's? Do they come with the plug already installed?

Impact Image

Post by Impact Image »

I use http://www.superbrightleds.com/.

I'm sure I pay a little more than I would elsewhere but there stuff has been very reliable. Lots of different power options, from solder-on leads to wire nut connections. The round sign above used a solder-on pigtail with a barrel connector that plugged into a wall plug. The entrance sign used a ballast you can see in the pic. that would tie directly into AC.

I will say that their customer service has been fantastic and if you ask for tech support they will walk you through your needs.

ohiococonut
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD & Custom built 4x4

Post by ohiococonut »

I agree with Angie. That is seriously cool and unique!

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

I'll second the superbrightleds.com site recommendation. Their prices are higher than what you will find on E-Bay or Amazon, but the quality is higher and their support is excellent.

I've engraved similar (but not as complex) signs using V-carve. I mirror the image and put it on the back side to eliminate the reflection you get when you engrave the front side. An example with the carving information is at http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... 95#p135295
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Yup... really cool work there! I particularly like the mash-up of old wood and high tech lighting.

Thanks for posting and explaining!
Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

tajohns
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built + Jtech 7watt Laser

Post by tajohns »

Wow! Superb job.

Tom
Cheers,
Tom

Plantationshutter
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Buddy

Post by Plantationshutter »

Love your work! Thanks for sharing...shows great spirit.