Layered elliptical box

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP10

Re: Layered elliptical box

Post by scottp55 »

Impressive CarveOne! Just work Padauk first time last week and LOVED the way it machined!
Did you give it any UV protection to keep the "salmon" color? Love the deeper shades as it ages, but really like the fresh worked color, but haven't managed to keep it.
Wonderful contrast with the black, going to have to try that. Thanks
"One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions"

GMH

scott

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

Thanks,

Going darker with age is typical for most tropical woods that I have worked with. What looks black in the photos is a dark roast coffee color gel stain. Java is from General Finishes. I get it from Woodcraft or Klingspor Woodworking stores and use it on most of my projects to darken the cut areas of V-carvings and for shadow effects on some 3d models. This piece of padauk is quarter sawn and was originally purchased for the T-bucket hot rod dash panel. The owner decided to use a nice piece of walnut instead.

One problem I have with the white with red color scheme is that getting all of the red sanding dust out of the maple is a real problem. I have some pink blushes on the maple to deal with somehow.

No UV protection was used unless it is in the Deft spray lacquer, and I doubt that it has any.

The next project I'm working on will be posted over the coming weekend. Two horse stable signs, probably not like any you may have seen. These don't fit the usual cheap and utilitarian style. My friend has a female appaloosa and the lady who owns the stables where his horse is boarded has a male horse. He wants to make some points with the stable owner with these signs, which is his idea for the most part, but I had some leeway on how to implement some of it.

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP10

Post by scottp55 »

Did notice that about Padauk with buttons, always had to do Padauk last, from sanding through buffing or dipping. Must have been a pain with the light wood. Looking forward to signs. Thanks
"One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions"

GMH

scott

KENYPETE
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger ll

Post by KENYPETE »

CarveOne
As my CNC skills are minimal I have a couple of questions about your boxes.

1. If I use dowels for alignment would that mean the top ring would need to become a two sided operation so the dowel is hidden?

2. When you cut the rabbit on the underside of the lid is there an offset so the cover won't bind or possibly swell with climate changes?

Thanks for sharing the files and ideas.

Ken

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

I don't think the top layer needs to be a two side operation. You can do it all from one side. You would just flip it over to assemble it. If your machine is not 90 degrees to the table it may cause more sanding.

I have not added any offset because by the time it has been sanded inside an out there is enough freeplay. If needed, I would sand the inside of the box a little more.

CarveOne
CarveOne

mtylerfl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Heime wrote:...Sorry the pic is upside down - it has come from Australia you know!

Bob
Regarding the upside down photo...You can make sure your photos will appear "right-side up" when taken by an Apple device (and other 'auto-rotation' devices) in landscape mode - just hold the phone or ipad with the Home button on the right. Now your photos will appear right side up when posting on forums, when emailing to someone, viewing on a PC, etc. (Same holds true for iphone video when recording in landscape mode...make sure the Home button is on the right side so the videos will play right side up when played back on all other devices)
Michael Tyler

carvebuddy.com

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Thanks Michael, I'll try that on my android phone to see if it works on those.

I sanded and refinished the maple today and the red blush is about 99% gone now. I tried to stay off of the padauk when sanding off the lacquer and getting rid of the blushes. The lacquer clogs even 80 grit belt sander belt material. I tear it into small strips and sand by hand. Then followed up with 320 grit sandpaper. Looks fine now.

CarveOne
CarveOne

Heime
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts & Shopbot Buddy

Apple pic trst

Post by Heime »

Thanks Michael. Giving it a try now!
Attachments
image.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

It worked!
Michael Tyler

carvebuddy.com

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

GraClay

Post by GraClay »

terrific work for sure.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Here is a couple of final photos of the box with the false floor shown. The floor plate is 1/16" birch plywood for model airplane construction material and coated with clear lacquer. A short piece of fluorescent pink string line is glued inder the floor plate and a knot is tied in the free end. The knot is made permanent with a little thin CA adhesive. It works pretty well and a narrow piece of ribbon should also work.

CarveOne
Attachments
20140831_092449.jpg
20140831_092508.jpg
CarveOne

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72

Post by dhellew2 »

The red and white look really good together.

Have you tried removing the paint residue with MEK? A small amount on a q-tip sometimes works wonders.
Did you use a sealer? Sealers make for easier cleanup should you have a problem because it stops or slows bleed.
Most of the time I use oil based paint and use tung oil as a sealer.

Even though it is an oil finish, for UV protection you can spray Rustoleum Crystal Clear with UV over most other finishes. It works especially well with dry acrylics. TEST FIRST!

Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!

Dale

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

No, I didn't try removing the lacquer with a solvent.

I just carefully hand sanded the clear lacquer, and the red blush off of the bare maple without going into the padauk and raising more red dust. There is no noticeable difference in the finish after re-coating with spray lacquer. The young lady has received the box and is very happy with it.

Her dad got the horse stall signs and those have been a big hit at the stables.

CarveOne
CarveOne

KENYPETE
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger ll

Post by KENYPETE »

CarveOne
Thank you for sharing the files, here are two I made with VCP, one cherry and one oak. Had to downsize them a bit to fit the boards I had. My wife loves them.

Ken
Attachments
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Thanks for showing them Ken. I appreciate your trying the files out. I like the dragonfly design.

I've been saving the inner layer waste ovals with the intent of eventually re-using them for making a smaller box.

CarveOne
CarveOne