Layered elliptical box

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Re: Layered elliptical box

Post by CarveOne »

Do the 3D Finish tool path to create the shape of the box top first and don't select anything but the outer elliptical vector when calculating. It will leave a flat area inside the inner border. I use a Precise Bits 1/16" tapered ball nose cutter and use a raster cut. At 150 ipm and 0.0056" step-over it will take 1-1/2 hours. Your machine may or may not be able to improve on that. I haven't broken one of the cutters yet. If it survives the first pass the rest will be much easier on the cutter. I love those cutters.

Then create the Vcarve tool path. The flourishes are just Vcarved with a Whiteside #1540 1/4" shank 60 degree V-bit. Select the option to project it onto the 3D model. It will start the Vcarve tool path at the correct height Just select the flourish vectors and it will Vcarve inside the flourish vectors.

The hearts are cut as part of the one 3D Finish tool path that shapes the box top.

The day job is teaching me new things with the lathe. When I'm replaced with a new full-time machinist I'll be better than before when making parts for home project uses. Every part has to be analyzed to determine the sequence of cuts that should be done, in the correct order, so I don't end up with no way to hold the part true for the last cut. It's similar to CNC tool path setup. Do it in the wrong order and you cut away something that needed to remain. ;)

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Redhorse
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by Redhorse »

Good Evening CarveOne, I think my eyes are deceiving me but the "elliptical box" in the first pic. looks to have outside tapered sides. If they are, how did you taper the sides? If not sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for your time,

Dave

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

That's an optical illusion caused by the camera angle. Unless I take the photo from a lower angle more centered on the sides it will look tapered. All
sides are actually 90 degrees to the table surface. Maybe we can call it an elliptical illusion. :)

CarveOne
CarveOne

angelkarla
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: home made

Post by angelkarla »

Hi carve one Thanks for sharing the files. I have only sanded and coated with sanding sealer (Two coats)
Scored Brownie point with other half for this one. Design is worthy of using oak.

Many thanks Angelkarla
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
If all else fails read the instructions

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Very nice! Thanks for showing it.

Did you have any particular issues with the setup and construction? Comments welcome, good or bad.

For the small amount of red oak it takes it isn't all that bad price wise, at least it is in the US. I'll make another one when I can find a really curly and colorful piece of red oak. I also want to use some ambrosia maple from my wood stash on one.

CarveOne
CarveOne

angelkarla
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: home made

Post by angelkarla »

Hi no issues I did add locating holes for assembly but very easy and quick to make
Thanks again.

Angelkarla
If all else fails read the instructions

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Thanks. I'll try that also.

CarveOne
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

C1, One of your designs for the top got me thinking, Not as delicate or interesting as yours, but might make decent sweater buttons for the knitters around here :) All fluted with .125"BN, going out now to try 1.5-2"'s
Thanks for the inspiration, Just wish it hadn't been 3 AM :)
Attachments
sflute buttons 1.jpg

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Uh oh, looks like I've started something. :) I think it was around 3 am on a sleepless night when I started playing around with the S shape flourish vector to see what I could do with just that one shape. I didn't plan on buttons though. I would like go see your finished buttons.

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

You guys can turn the hearts flourish into a 3D modeled version like the one shown below. This would look even better if the Create shape from vectors tool had an option to weave the shapes.

CarveOne
Attachments
3D Heart Flourish Model.jpg
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

C1, 4 out of 6 designs cut decently, but wood was .255" thick and it was a Whiteside 3/8"D/ 3/16R Pointed Round Over bit for the profile and holes so it cut into it to much(finished sheet pic got washed out by PM sun). Got cherry surfaced to .20" ready for tomorrow with 1.5" sweater buttons.
Thanks again for inspiration.
Attachments
buttons fluted 1.jpg
buttons fluted 2.jpg

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

I think that at the small scale you are working with the points of the flourishes will get too shallow with anything other than something like an engraving V-bit like the Whiteside #1540 1/4" diameter shank 60 degree carbide v-bit. It has a very sharp pointed tip. It's one of my favorite cutters for this sort of carvings.

CarveOne
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Hi CarveOne, We've got a large show in 10 days(Acadian Congress) with a 50,000 day door. Both sides are at 220G before the bit touches them, so hoping to flap sand edges and BristleDisk grooves and pump out a bunch quickly for our Northern Desktops booth(he's running low on stock after last weeks Maine Woodcarvers Association Fair that the Forestry Department asked us to demo at). 1/8"BN gives me fast smooth cut that looks and feels nice and the little flat at the center for the buttonholes. MAY get fancier later, but will probably be hoping not to see another button after next week for a while :)
I like our Vortex for a .25" 60vbit.
Basically a faster take on buttons I made for Mom at Xmas for Gift scarves she knitted, and no copyright issues!
Thanks again!
Attachments
buttons proto 1 Xmas.jpg

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Here are three straight borders and some elliptical borders that are sized for the layered elliptical box centerpiece that use the same S flourish. They are just scaled and placed using the copy object along a vector tool in Aspire. There seems to be lots of ways to use this one vector in designs. There is one .dxf file in the Zip file.

Use these however you wish to.

CarveOne
Attachments
S Flourish Borders.zip
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 200 times
CarveOne

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

Thanks, CarveOne, those will make a nice border for a bookstand frame I want to build as Christmas presents...joe